Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

osx Mavericks can't save scanned documents with hp scanjet

I have installed osx Maverics yesterday and I can't save my scanned documents. I'm using hp scanjet G2710. When I try to save I'm getting this message:

"An error has occurred saving the file because it could not be written to. Check the properties for the file to make sure it is not read-only."

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 11:43 AM

158 replies

Oct 25, 2013 8:11 AM in response to Linda1000

I'm having the same issue above on my HP Scanjet G4050. Also, if I try to print the document to my HP Color Laser Jet CP1518ni all that prints is a full page of black and grey horizontal lines about 1/8" wide. I tried the same scanner on the virtual machine on my iMac and the document printed correctly. I hope there will be a fix for this soon.

Oct 25, 2013 11:54 AM in response to panos2009

I have the same issue with my HP Photosmart C4280 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier . I'm using HP Scan version 2.1.3(7). Actually my first scan saved a file, but when I went to look at the file, it was an all-black page with white lines. When I tried again, I would get an error message:" Error. An error has occurred saving the file because it could not be written to. Check the properties for the file to make sure it is not read-only." Trying again and again always yielded the same error.

Oct 25, 2013 12:22 PM in response to lincurt

After my initial post I tried something different with my HP Scanjet G4050 ( this is a flatbed commercial scanner, not an all-in-one). Normally I scan using the software provided with the scanner. I had tried to scan through Preview, but the option to "import from scanner" is greyed out. I also tried to use Image Capture, but my scanner is not shown as a device. Just for the heck of it, I scanned a document using the scan button on the actual scanner. It took quite some time for the scanner to warm up and scan, but the image finally opened in Preview and when I printed it on my HP Color Laser Jet CP1518ni the document printed successfully.

Oct 26, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Linda1000

OK, I wasn't sure how to update my post so I am replying to it. I resolved my issue on an HP Scanjet N6310. I downloaded the latest version of the HP Software - HP Scanjet ICA Software for Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7 or 10.8 Once I installed it I was able to scan and save photos and documents. No more black pictures with lines through them, no more error msgs saving. Hope this will help others.

Oct 26, 2013 4:31 PM in response to adrian-polglase

Actually after just saying that, I have found a 'just as good' workaround. As it's just the software 'HP Scan' that seems to be the problem, not the driver.

I have started using the in-built Mac programme 'Image Capture' which does just a good a job... if not a little bit better. Finds my scanner and does just a good a job as the HP utility I used to use.

If your scanner is networked, it will be hidden under the 'Shared Devices' heading in the left hand sidebar. Just hover over the header and select 'Show' to reveal the list of devices.

Solves all my problems at the moment - if anyone else finds this helpful!!

Oct 27, 2013 3:48 AM in response to adrian-polglase

Updating my previous reply, the first scan will save using Mavericks and the HP software. If the HP software is clossed and re-opened you can save another scan.

Well, OK, this is not ideal!

Using Image Capture is not an option for me, as the scanner does not show up anywhere - not in finder, Printers and Scanners, Preview, etc. It is only tethered through the HP software. if that problem was oversome, there would a choice of workarounds.

osx Mavericks can't save scanned documents with hp scanjet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.