Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Mavericks and cannot connect AIM to Messages

I recently upgraded to Mavericks and decided to try out the Messages app for instant messaging for the first time.

For some reason, I cannot connect my AIM accounts to work with Messages even though they have always worked perfectly fine through Adium. Everytime I've tried to do so I get the message - An unknown error occured.

User uploaded file

Having never used Messages before, I have no idea if this is a common thing. Has anyone had the same experirence since upgrading?

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 11:58 AM

You need to create an AIM account rather then the AOL.

Go into the System Preferences, Internet Accounts, and then click "Add other Account".

And then "Add Message Account" and click create.

Choose AIM in the box and fill out the rest of your info for AIM

User uploaded file

7 replies

Nov 13, 2013 6:15 AM in response to myk_r

I have had the same problem, only this solution is not working fo me I created a new AIMS account, per these instructions, but when I try to "Connect" to AIMS in iMessage, it still asks for an "AOL Instant Messenger Password." If I enter the password I enetered when creating the new AIMS account, I get feedback that the password is not correct. Why is it still asking for an AOL Instant Messenger Password? Why isn't this working for me?

Jan 11, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Doobie1111

Just to be clear.

AIM stands for AOL Instant Message. So an AIM Password is an AOL Instant Message password.

An Apple ID issued by Apple (@mac.com and iCloud issued @me.com and @icloud.com ending IDs) can also be valid AIM Screen Names

In the past the password at Apple had to comply with the AIM limit of 16 characters.

I have seen a recent post that suggests that this limit may have changed.

Try logging in here if the Name was registered at AIM or is an @mac.com name

https://settings.aim.com/

(You cannot log in here with an @iCloud.com or @me.com ending ID as there are addtional checks in iChat 6 and upwards that invloved logins to both Apple And AIM at the same time to confirm access to the password).

User uploaded file

10:07 pm Saturday; January 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 12, 2014 2:45 AM in response to Doobie1111

I am having the same exact problem. Did you ever solve the AIM password problem?? I originally had an AIM account that worked very well for me. I did not have a password. When I upgraded from 10.6.8 to Mavericks it started asking for a password. I tried adding a password to the original account - did not work. I deleted that account and opened a new AIM account - added the password and it did not work. Any further suggestions??

Jul 12, 2014 11:19 AM in response to bettybdne

Hi bettybdne,

A long time ago, getting an AIM ID tended to mean you only saw the Username part (no @AIM.com or @AOL.com)

New ones tend to show you the full email looking ID.

Try using only the username part.

Also try logging in here https://settings.aim.com/ as it is likely to tell you if the account is suspended or not. (There are lots of curious reasons why this happens)

User uploaded file

7:19 pm Saturday; July 12, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Upgraded to Mavericks and cannot connect AIM to Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.