Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ical travel time

Travel time is not working in ical on mavericks... i have turned it on but it's not displaying anything on the calendar?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 12:39 PM

11 replies

Oct 28, 2013 12:54 AM in response to FFHamilton

As of now, iCal will only add maps and travel time events based off of the Apple Maps database or from your contacts.

Example, you are meeting a friend for lunch at "Temple Cafe"

Once you add the name for the event, under the title, you can click in the menu to "Add Location", instead of typing the address, just type, "temple cafe". iCal will do a search based off the Apple Maps database to find a location matching that description, once it is displayed, you can click on the name and it will add the address of the location. After that, you can go into the time options and add in the travel time, it will automatically be based from your last known location, or you can add your own custom time.

Alternatively, you can also search your contacts when you are typing in the location field and it will add addresses that are based off of your contacts list.

Unfortunetly, as of now, you cannot add/type the address within the location field and have it associate with the location. I am sure this is a feature that will be added in a future update.

Note: if you are having trouble finding the name for the location, open apple's Maps app and search there first, once you find the exact name apple's database has your location under, type the same name within the iCal location.

Hope this helps

Jan 28, 2014 12:51 PM in response to FFHamilton

I was having a related problem - I was able to add the location of a friend (and it showed up, map and all)... but I wasn't getting travel time calculated.

Turns out you need to turn on WiFi for that. For most people that probably won't be an issue, but since I've got a cable connected to my iMac, it was a problem for me.

ical travel time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.