Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Mavericks on Quad-Core Intel Xeon (w/10.6.8)?

From everywhere I have read so far, the answer looks like "yes I can install Mavericks", but I'm a bit confused and wanted to check with folks here before I dive in...

I'm running an early-2008 Mac Pro with 10.6.8 (check!), but I could swear that in the past when I tried to update certain pieces of software (and OS), that 10.7+ (or 10.8+) required a later processor than is running on my Mac Pro (which is a Quad-Core Intel Xeon).

With the Mavericks release, it seems to be that I can now update the OS even with this older processor, and then be able to run all the latest software (I really just use MSFT and Apple software). It seems counter-intuitive to me, so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something and will be left in deep doo-doo after trying to install Mavericks!

Thanks much all-

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 12:39 PM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2013 12:42 PM in response to aquestionortwo

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

• OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space

I'd say "Yes".

Oct 25, 2013 5:46 PM in response to C F McBlob

Tried to install, but I receive an error Mavericks can't be installed since a "recovery system can't be created".

I'm not installing onto a RAID volume, I don't have any partitions and no Boot Camp.

I tried following the directions on

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649, which redirects to

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

I can resize the partition, but it seems to make no difference and I receive the same error.

If anyone has any advice (to a non-technical person simply looking to install and overwrite my existing 10.6.8) that would be grand!

Oct 25, 2013 5:56 PM in response to aquestionortwo

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

You must have the third generation MP in order to run Mavericks. You can install over Snow Leopard:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

If all is well then run the Mavericks installer that you downloaded. Prior to this you may wish to make your own installer:

Make Your Own Mavericks, Mountain/Lion Installer

1. After downloading the installer you must first save the Install Mac OS X application. After the installer downloads DO NOT click on the Install button. Go to your Applications folder and make a copy of the installer. Move the copy into your Downloads folder. Now you can click on the Install button. You must do this because the installer deletes itself automatically when it finishes installing.

2. Get a USB flash drive that is at least 8 GBs. Prep this flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
  2. After DU loads select your flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the leftside list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
  4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
  5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
  6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to an hour depending upon the flash drive size.

3. Use Lion DiskMaker 3.0 to put your installer clone onto the USB flash drive.

Make your own Mavericks flash drive installer using the Mavericks tool:

You can also create a Mavericks flash drive installer via the Terminal. Mavericks has its own built-in installer maker you use via the Terminal:

You will need a freshly partitioned and formatted USB flash drive with at least 8GBs. Leave the name of the flash drive at the system default, "Untitled." Do not change this name. Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. Copy this command line after the prompt in the Terminal's window:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed to the screen so be careful to enter it correctly. Press RETURN, again.

Wait for the process to complete which will take quite some time.

Can I install Mavericks on Quad-Core Intel Xeon (w/10.6.8)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.