Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back to My Mac stopped working

This is a repeat of another post I started. I mistakenly clicked the "This Solved my Question" link before it was actually solved 😉

Anyway, I'm seeing some odd behavior from BTMM. In the morning/evening I seem to be able to connect to other machines (most of the time). During the day however, connections are sporadic at best and I seem to get kicked off a lot. I'm the family "IT guy" so I remotely manage computers for my wife and I, my parents and my brother and his wife and their business. Here's a quick rundown...

Michigan: MacBook & iMac running OS X 10.9 and ARD 3.7 connected to Time Capsule

Wyoming: Several MacBooks running both 10.9 (ARD 3.7) and 10.8.5 (ARD 3.6.2) connected to Linksys Router

Colorado: MacBook & Mini running both 10.9 (ARD 3.7) and 10.8.5 (ARD 3.6.2) connected to Airport Extreme

I'm trying to admin from my MacBook: 10.9/ARD 3.7. Both from work and from home (Colorado locations)

Anyway, regardless of the combination of OS/ARD/Router (at least as far as I can tell). I'm having a very hard time establishing and maintaining connections with any of these machines and it seems to be worse in the afternoon than in the morning. The error i get is always 'Connection failed to "hostName"'

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 12:50 PM

25 replies

Oct 24, 2013 7:25 PM in response to Brian S. Campbell

I'm having the same problem using 2 Macs, both updated to Mavericks. They worked fine before the upgrade, now I can't get to either one from the other (i.e., can't get to the home from work, or to the work from home). I really hope that the concept of "user friendliness" precludes the need to configure routers! The point of using a Mac is that this is supposed to just work, not require a computer science degree.

Oct 25, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Brian S. Campbell

Back to My Mac is working again - from both computers!

Oddly, all I did was deactivate the BTTM option under iCloud Preference Pane in System Preferences and then reactivated it. Then, voilà! It worked! When I got to work today, I initially tried to get back to my home Mac and it still didn't work. Then I did the same thing - deactivate and reactivate Back to My Mac - and now it works again on my work Mac. I realize this solution seems rediculously simple, but it worked:-)

Oct 26, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Marlon Rubio

I do think the issue is specific to iCloud and Back to My Mac services. In the Terminal if you select "New Remote Connection..." from the Shell menu and select a service, say Secure Shell (ssh), then select a computer, you'll notice the URL is a Back to My Mac (btmm) account url. I'm not able to connect to other services via that URL but, if I just use the IP address, it works as expected.

User uploaded file

Oct 31, 2013 1:17 AM in response to Brian S. Campbell

I also used to use "Back to my Mac" all the time, it always worked with the previous OS X. Since upgrading both machines to Mavericks it stopped worked (almost). I quite often get "Connection failed", only managed to connect twice in these past three days (of about 100 attempts).

Ps.: Someone mentioned "BTTM option under iCloud Preference Pane in System Preferences", but I can't seem to find this?? (so couldn't even try this suggestion)

Nov 6, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Brian S. Campbell

So it does seem related to firewall being on. Despite the fact that Screen Sharing is already setup to allow incoming connections, it's definitely blocking BTMM. I turned off my firewall, then was able to connect using BTMM. Once connected from the remote computer, I turned my firewall back on and was able to continue using screen sharing. I disconnected and tried to reconnect with the firewall on and got the same "unable to connect to [hostname] message. Firewall bug?

Nov 6, 2013 10:41 PM in response to Treyberto

Treyberto wrote:

... Firewall bug?

Anything is possible but if the Macs you are attempting to access are behind a router used by people you trust, there is no need to use the OS X firewall. Unless you are using your Mac on a public Wi-Fi network (for example) there is no reason to enable it. Leaving it off will simplify troubleshooting.

I have never used the OS X firewall, and the problem described by Brian S. Campbell still exists.

Back to My Mac stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.