Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Viewer for Mac

Is there an equivalent of Windows photo viewer for the mac? I don't want to edit images in it, I just want to view in full screen and to go forward and back thought the images, with simple options to 'view at 100%' 'flip left/right', 'enlarge' etc. This is not big difficult stuff right?

I've played with iphoto and dislike it enough to delete it, you can download free apps better than iphoto. I've tried both preview and quick look but don't like them at all. If I select an image it always opens in 'preview' but the 'previous/next icons are always blacked out? Why?

If I use 'quick look' I can move forward/back using the keyboard but it never opens full screen, it always opens to the 'fit screen size' and then really irritatingly jumps about in size all over the place depending on the next image size. It's ok if I drag it to full screen, after which it acts pretty much like windows viewer except there are no options to open an image in an editing app, view at 100%, enlarge, flip left/right etc.

In short it's a poor viewer, I guess that's why it's called quick view uh? Is there some amazing mac facility that I'm missing here. I could just about live with 'quick look' if it always opened full screen but can't see any way to do this.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 2:49 PM

Preview IS the Apple version of Windows Viewer and its more powerful opening PDF, editing , JPEG, TIFF and other formats.it will even do audio !

Oh and clearly you don't get iPhoto it is a viewer light editor and photo image database. Again far more powerful than Windows Viewer.

Infact its data storage is based on industry standard Aperture.

Quick view is effectively a built in PDF/inline viewer tool within the finder than allows just about any document to be viewed irrespective of format.Probably nearest to what Windows Viewer actually does

It has no editing tools and that not its function.

To open it full screen you hold the ALT key whilst clicking the document in finder

You DO have the opton to open in a specific app at the top of a Quickview window by default it usually says Open Preview however just right click and a list of all potential applications are then listed. You then choose the one you want.

When you select an image from the finder to open in Preview that's exactly what it does- Opens that specific image. IT does NOT load the entire folder because its a separate application - NOT part of finder !

Again you need to work through iPhoto its really has more going for it than you think and no there really aren't better FREE apps out there.

Oh and why the need for full screen viewing - THAT really is a windows hang out. MAC OS is designed such that windows open to the maximum size to display content rather than a locked full screen model by default.

That said if you look in to top right of the window bars click those two divergent arrows you go full screen.

Sorry to say you really have to change your work flow else you may just have to go back to Windows .

As for alternative image viewer depends how much you want to spend and from the sounds of it nothing !

Options

Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop (Full)

Pixelmater

Install the X11 OS UNIX environment and run GIMP

Try out Graphic Converter.

Anything else ?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2013 2:49 PM in response to mikegml

Preview IS the Apple version of Windows Viewer and its more powerful opening PDF, editing , JPEG, TIFF and other formats.it will even do audio !

Oh and clearly you don't get iPhoto it is a viewer light editor and photo image database. Again far more powerful than Windows Viewer.

Infact its data storage is based on industry standard Aperture.

Quick view is effectively a built in PDF/inline viewer tool within the finder than allows just about any document to be viewed irrespective of format.Probably nearest to what Windows Viewer actually does

It has no editing tools and that not its function.

To open it full screen you hold the ALT key whilst clicking the document in finder

You DO have the opton to open in a specific app at the top of a Quickview window by default it usually says Open Preview however just right click and a list of all potential applications are then listed. You then choose the one you want.

When you select an image from the finder to open in Preview that's exactly what it does- Opens that specific image. IT does NOT load the entire folder because its a separate application - NOT part of finder !

Again you need to work through iPhoto its really has more going for it than you think and no there really aren't better FREE apps out there.

Oh and why the need for full screen viewing - THAT really is a windows hang out. MAC OS is designed such that windows open to the maximum size to display content rather than a locked full screen model by default.

That said if you look in to top right of the window bars click those two divergent arrows you go full screen.

Sorry to say you really have to change your work flow else you may just have to go back to Windows .

As for alternative image viewer depends how much you want to spend and from the sounds of it nothing !

Options

Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop (Full)

Pixelmater

Install the X11 OS UNIX environment and run GIMP

Try out Graphic Converter.

Anything else ?

Oct 25, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Keith Doherty3

Thanks.

I know what a database is, I've had Lightroom and CS6 for years and unfortunately I had to pay for them.

I know iphoto is a light editor and never intended to use it as I don't need one. I played around with it out of curiosity when I first got the mac. I have about 400Gb of images/videos which iphoto had trouble handling, it was very slow and crashed repeatedly, hence I deleted it.

I've gathered that Preview is indeed more powerful than win' photo viewer and so isn't really the equivalent of it. I know that quick look also doesn't serve the function of a photo viewer and that's the problem, the mac doesn't have the equivalent of WPV which is what I was looking for.

Preview can do the job more or less as good as WPV but you have to jump through hoops; select your folder, CMD+A, etc. It seems I'd have to do this on every folder I want to view, but I might be wrong on this.

Sorry, but good 'ol Bill Gates got this one right. Just click on any folder/image anywhere and bang! WPV is there quick as you like with just enough options but not too many to clutter it's main purpose.

And if you're viewing images on an Eizo monitor that cost more than the mac that powers it, you'll definitely want it 'full screen'.

Thanks anyway.

Nov 4, 2014 7:02 AM in response to mikegml

I too am new to the mac and want something to emulate Windows PhotoViewer for a specific need. I've scanned an out of print book and now need to be able to just simply start at the beginning and use the arrows to scroll through each scan in numerical sequence as I read the book.

I may be missing something obvious but a basic tool to load and then sequentially view images at full screen size seems to be missing. Any tips gratefully welcome either on how to use a supplied tool or for a suitable app to download.

Jan 31, 2015 11:18 AM in response to johnrnew

You can select all the images in the "Finder" and then press spacebar. Then you will enter into a slideshow window. Next to the "X" on the top left corner to close the slideshow app there is a small icon to enter full screen mode (from here you can play slideshow if you want). This works fine - but the big thing missing compared to the Windows counterpart (picture viewer) - there is no way to delete pictures from this slideshow. The Windows equivalent (which has the possibility to delete) is very useful for selecting pictures.

May 1, 2015 6:42 PM in response to mikegml

I am new to mac and to find a small simple program is hard, it seems like mac wants to throw everything into there program and the simple things are not there. I had my mac book air for 1 week and still frustrated at how many hoop I have to jump throw just to do something and Oh finding the right program for the right mac os verison ... Makes me question why it cost 900$.

May 22, 2015 3:34 PM in response to mikegml

I love my iMac put also I miss some of the windows futures especially Windows Picture Viewer. My household we have 3 mac's and 2 windows, when I want check my camera sd card I use my work windows pc, this is simple software Apple can add on their system, most graphic, photography and video editing prefer mac they should add similar software.

Photo Viewer for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.