Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5 library not comparable with iPhoto 9.5

I have upgraded to Mavericks, i received the updates fot iPhoto and aperture, so now iPhoto is now 9.5 and Aperture is 3.5. i previously shared my aperture library with iPhoto, as i work with both apps. The aperture library had no problems in opening in either app. Now i received the following error message.

To open this Aperture library in iPhoto, it first needs to be upgraded with Aperture 3.3 or later. Quit iPhoto and then open your library in Aperture to upgrade it.

When i first started Aperture after the update, a message appeared requesting to up date the library which i allowed it to do so. However the message keeps showing. i have found that i can open the aperture library in iPhoto, only by selecting the option from the aperture menu.

does any know how i can fix the library issue, as before the updates i could open either app, using the aperture library.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 3:31 PM

7 replies

Oct 24, 2013 3:44 PM in response to windydcm

Hello, I'd love to help with your problem, but the second last paragraph of your question is a bit confusing.

Can you tell me if Aperture did or did not successfully update your library to the Aperture 3.5 format?

Is it still asking you to update each time you launch Aperture or not, or is this in iPhoto 9.5?

Have you tried repairing your library from Aperture? Hold down the cmd and option keys when launching Aperture and select one of the options to repair your library.

If all else fails, do you have a back-up of your library in pre 3.5 Aperture format to revert back to and try converting again?

Another thought, when you open iPhoto 9.5, try holding down the option key and reselect the library you are wanting to open, maybe iPhoto is not opening the same library you think it is.

Cheers, Andrew.

Oct 26, 2013 12:49 AM in response to Andrew Jung

Andrew, thank you for your suggestions. I have tried all you have suggested before writing for help.

ok, to try and unconfuse my question. Before i upgraded to Mavericks, iPhoto and Aperture, I hade mountain lion and the latest updates at that time of Aperture and iPhoto.

My photo library is an Aperture library which i share with both iPhoto and Aperture. This worked very well together, for fault messages.

I upgraded to Mavericks, iPhoto to 9.5 and Aperture to 3.5. Once install was completed, i opened Aperture, a messaged appeared asking to upgrade the library which i did. this took a little while. i then left Aperture to complete all its processing of importing all the details into Aperture this took an hour or 2. once this was completed, i checked my library in Aperture and everything was there.

I closed down Aperture and i opened iPhoto, the following fault message appeared,

To open this Aperture library in iPhoto, it first needs to be upgraded with Aperture 3.3 or later. Quit iPhoto and then open your library in Aperture to upgrade it.

I quite iPhoto and tired to the option of selecting the library from the iPhoto prestart menu. I had the same error message. i tried carrying out an repair with the prestart menu of aperture which only had the same error message come up. i tried using the my back up aperture library and doing the whole process again, the same message appears. i have reloaded the iphoto and aperture updates incase there was some kind of app error. The same error message appears.

However after doing some investigating in aperture i found that there is an option under 'file' to open the library in iPhoto. doing this my aperture then opens iPhoto, aperture quite's and iphoto opens.

after quitting iphoto, and restarting it the same same fault message appears that i have to upgrade my aperture library.

i hope that this clears my fault up a bit. please any suggestions would be most grateful.

Oct 27, 2013 9:04 AM in response to windydcm

Update.

After trying different things, i have found that if I right click on my aperture library and select iPhoto, the library will open in iPhoto without any probelm's. however if i select the iphoto from the Applications folder or menu bar, then i get the fault message appearing. Apple has a lot of work to sort this problem out.

Oct 27, 2013 1:35 PM in response to windydcm

however if i select the iphoto from the Applications folder or menu bar, then i get the fault message appearing.

This looks like you have two different iPhoto versions installed - iPhoto 9.4.3 and iPhoto 9.5. What does the iPhoto icon in your Applications folder look like? Orange or blue?

User uploaded fileor User uploaded file

I'd search with Spotlight for all versions of iPhoto that you have and see, if there is still an older version somewhere.

Oct 27, 2013 3:31 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your suggestion. i do have the Blue version. I have checked i only have the one version of iPhoto installed which is version 9.5. to prove the point, i uninstalled iphoto using cleanmymac 2, of all iphotos on my mac.

I reinstalled iphoto 9.5 the blue one, once installed, i click on the shortcut on the menu bar, the first thing that comes up is the error message that your aperture library must be updated by aperture 3.3 or later. whcih has already been done, see my first post.

i have carried out the disk utility check of permissions on my mac, i even did this by the starting my mac in recovery mode. the same problem is still there, if you click on iphoto 9.5 you get the error message, where as if you right click on the aperture library and select iphoto it will load the library in iphoto with out any faults. likewise while in aperture, click on file and select open library in iPhoto, again the library will open in iphoto without any faults.

Apple really needs to look into this and produce an update to sort out the whole iphoto and aperture library issue. before the iPhoto and aperture updates there was no problems with using either app with the aperture library.

Oct 27, 2013 3:51 PM in response to windydcm

You made a permissions check using Disk Utility, but have you run the permission repair with Aperture or iPhoto?

If not, I'd do that, because the Library specific repair tools are better for the iPhoto and Aperture libraries.

To launch into First Aid Mode, hold down the ⌥⌘-key combintion, while double clicking the library to open. Then select "Repair permissions".

to prove the point, i uninstalled iphoto using cleanmymac 2, of all iphotos on my mac.

I am a bit concerned about this. Cleanmymac has several modes, and it can be set to clean up iPhoto Libraries as well (service copies of your iPhoto images that add to the bulk of your iPhoto library, it promises). Have you been using the program on your Aperture/iPhoto library? Then it may have removed to much. In the iPhoto forum we have seen quite a few corrupted iPhoto libraries as a consequence of too much spring cleaning.

If you cleaned your iPhoto library, I'd back it up and use all Firtst Aid options on the library, including "Rebuild". That may take a while, but you'd be on the safe side.

Oct 27, 2013 4:15 PM in response to léonie

I have carried out the first aide measures on the aperture library which you suggested, i had already done these repairs previously ( repaired the permissions and the complete library repair). my aperture library was fully working with both iphoto and aperture before the updates on the 22nd oct 13.

i do not use cleanmymac 2 to do anything to my aperture library, as the version i use only does iphoto library.

after completing the first aid mode repairs, the library works correctly with aperture as it has always done, but i still get the following message

"Aperture library needs to be upgraded.

To open this Aperture library in iPhoto, it first needs to be upgraded with Aperture 3.3 or later. Quit iPhoto and then open your library in Aperture to upgrade it."

The library has already been upgraded which i first opened aperture after the update to 3.5. unless there is another way to force the update again? i do not know how to stop this message. where as if i right click on the aperture library and choose open in iphoto, it will then open the library without any faults into iphoto, likewise if i select from the file menu in aperture to open library in iphoto, it will close down aperture and open iphoto without any fault messages.

Apple has a fault with iphoto using aperture library, they need to address this sometime soon.

thank you for your suggestions. i am open to trying anything. i have on a number of occasions, redone this whole procedure by reloading my original library from time machine back up, i have even restored my imac to a few hours before the release of mavericks and the updates to ensure everything was updated correctly, still the same results. im just going round in circles, with the same problem.

i have even created a new library with the same faults.

Aperture 3.5 library not comparable with iPhoto 9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.