Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.mov files with alpha channels won't import on Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Just FYI, Apple:

This issue with Quicktime not seeing .mov files in Finder (or I should say, not playing them) is a HUGE problem for anyone who edits video.

If you export a file as .mov in After Effects, and have any transparency (RGB+Alpha channels), there is no way to import them into current projects. None.

PLEASE fix this, as I quite enjoy my job, and don't feel like losing it because my client doesn't understand why they can't have lower thirds in their video I'm contracted to do (and subsequently fires me and finds someone on a Windows rig).

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 4:13 PM

17 replies

Oct 24, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Klaus1

Quicktime. Because there's obviously some codec problem (and other people have it, too).

My Premiere and After Effects work just fine, as they always have. And I've not changed any export settings. Before Mavericks, I was able to view a preview of my exported .mov files (which were lower thirds, exported with an alpha channel, so they could be transparent when I import them into Premiere to edit). I was also able to view the files without issue in Quicktime, if I chose to open them all the way.

Now, post-update, .mov files are no longer available for viewing in Quick Look, nor are they available to view in QuickTime without having to "convert" them... which, why does QuickTime need to convert an .mov file at all?

Oct 25, 2013 6:46 AM in response to GadgetUnicorn

I am getting the same issue with Mavericks and AE CC...Here are some of my symptoms, the alpha channel .mov (exported from AE RGB+Alpha as well as other alpha channel .mov's) can't be previewed (it shows up as a 0kb file). However, if I double clck on the file will open in quicktime but only after it is converted to a non-alpha channel file. Secondly, when I opened AE CC there was a warning that my Mac didn'y have quicktime and thus some files would not function properly. But here is the most bizzare aspect...I have AE CS 5.5 and CS 3 both of those programs will open the alpha channel .mov just fine. What is up!

Oct 25, 2013 9:11 AM in response to tgo0116

What is up!

Based on my tests, it appears that the Mavericks embedded QT structure no longer considers many of the legacy compression formats to be supported under Mavericks. These formats were, by default, turned off under Lion and Mountain Lion which may indicate that Apple intends to drop even passive native support sometime in the future. Files containing Animation or PNG compressed data are no longer QL compatible and now force automatic QT X v10.3 conversion as mentioned above. Even worse, it appears other commonly used fomats like DV/DV in DV and AIC/PCM in MOV are also being relegated to this group. Luckily, DV/PCM in MOV, HDV/PCM in MOV, and ProRes422/PCM in MOV, along with all of my H.264/AAC/AC3/Chapter M4V distribution/iTunes managed files remain fully compatible with both QL and QT X v10.3 under Maverisks. This last is significant for me since many files containing AC3 as the primary audio stream are no longer QL/QT X v10.3 compatible with certain file extensions and/or container types which now appear to be checked in specific situations. Unfortunatly, what we've seen and learned thus far seems to be just the "tip of the iceberge."

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2013 7:37 AM in response to GadgetUnicorn

There is another discussion allready. I would suggest everybody send feedback. This is a big problem for people like me need to edit and export in Animation Codec uncompressed. This was allways part of OSX and i believe should allways work out of the box.

I wouldn't have problem to start using Apple Proress 444 from now on, allthough i see that there might be a short convertion (smaller file) etc but i have allready SO MANY videos that will need to be converted!?

Here is the discussion : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470956?answerId=23530362022#23530362022&ac_cid=tw123456#23530362

Oct 30, 2013 6:33 AM in response to GadgetUnicorn

for the love of God, how can Apple do this?

A large proportion of consumers use apples to work.

Will we have to migrate to Windows? Or let's pray sugir another Steve Jobs to create a new tool, because Apple actually lost track of what you are doing!

Fix it soon please! I've lost a lot of time having to play. mov into software like premiere and after!

Oct 31, 2013 12:07 PM in response to GadgetUnicorn

This is a HUGE, HUGE problem for all pro users of Apple products, I work with CG Animations and SFX and I absolutely depend on this. I don't know why Apple do this, was the same thing when QT X came for the first time and they embedded the playback inside the viewer, so you couldn't review a frame by frame video without seeing the playback control. But this is even worst, I have over 6TB of data in MOV files, and just can't afford the time to convert all of this even for just preview them. Another kick in the nuts was loosing the ability to export for web. Thanks God I never erased QT 7 of my machine. I don't hope Apple fix this, I demand it!

Oct 31, 2013 12:26 PM in response to iksolver

I don't hope Apple fix this, I demand it!

I hope you are posting feedback to Apple regarding the issue. At this point it is unclear whether or not this is just a programming oversite, a bug, or a deliberate exclusion of certain video codecs. Since codecs include Animation, PNG, AIC, some ProRes 422 codecs, and DV stream files, I find it hard to believe that Apple really intended to eliminate all of these video editor specific compression formats in one fell swoop.

User uploaded file

.mov files with alpha channels won't import on Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.