Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Put back "Open Link in New Window" first and default, rather than "Open Link in New Tab" in Safari 6.1

I do not like the order of the context menu changes in Safari 6.1. I have become accustomed to using "Open Link In New Window" first in the context list, rather than the new "Open Link In New Tab". I do not wish to use Tabs. How may I remove this?

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 4:26 PM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2013 10:52 AM in response to barryshatswell

Well, the upshot is that now the context menu order is the same between Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. All three have "Open Link in New Tab" as the first item and "New Window" second, so moving between different browsers is much easier.

There's no way to go back to the old Safari behavior, AFAIK, unless you can perform some minor hackery to install Safari 6.0 again. I wouldn't recommend that on Mavericks (it would be cool if you could have 6.0 and 7.0 installed but I don't know if that's possible, doubt it).

Oct 28, 2013 5:09 PM in response to barryshatswell

Well, I solved it just after I posted this. I opened up the Safari Preferences, then went to the TABS section, and set "Open pages in tabs instead of windows: to NEVER", and unchecked "⌘-click opens a link in a new tab". That set it back to open in new windows.

Tabs work if I am making quick tabs to refer to something. Horrible if I want to compare two websites side by side. So, by disabling the auto TAB function, I'm back to the way I prefer my browser to work, rather than the way something thinks I ought to use it.

Don't care about having all my browsers behavior the same. If I wanted that, I would have run those browsers.

Put back "Open Link in New Window" first and default, rather than "Open Link in New Tab" in Safari 6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.