Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mavericks screen sharing not working

with the firewall turned on, Screen Sharing no longer works after upgrade to Mavericks. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 4:45 PM

28 replies

Oct 25, 2013 12:36 AM in response to dkauper

I was having mixed results with Screen Sharing on Mavericks. I have 2 old Macs that have multiple displays, and at first, sharing worked on one (old Macbook connected to a TV, mirrorred), but not the other (G5 with Cinema Display and TV, no mirroring).

I did get it working on the G5 by turning on mirroring. Then I was able to connect. Then when I turned mirroring back off, it still worked!

So whatever the issue was that I had, it resolved itself by turning mirroring on, connecting, then turned mirroring back off.

Oct 26, 2013 7:03 AM in response to dkauper

This is my only Mac. I wasn't able to use Screen Sharing from a Linux or Windows PC until I set a password. (Using a VNC client.) I don't remember that being required before, but maybe it will help you if you are trying to use VNC.

VNC viewers may control screen with password: Other users can share your screen using a VNC viewer app, for example on iPad or a Windows PC, by entering the password you specify here.

If this computer’s screen is shared only by other OS X users, turn off these options and add accounts for the other users.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14128?viewlocale=en_US

Oct 26, 2013 8:38 PM in response to dkauper

I noticed an entry in the Filewall Options down deep in the list "sceensharingd", I deleted it, then added and removed Screen Sharing using the Sharing Preference, the proper filewall entry appears at the top of the Firewall Options "Screen Sharing", then I rebooted.

This works consitantly for me. I have three Macs.

... Jeff

Oct 29, 2013 5:45 PM in response to dkauper

I first noticed a problem using VNC. Same issue - will not connect with firewall on.

After some testing, here are a few more details:

- As per previous comments, I deleted the firewall entry "sceensharingd", restarted. I had the normal "Screen Sharing" entry at the very top of the list. Still no luck with VNC. However -

- When I toggled off and on the option in Sharing>Computer Settings, for "VNC viewers may control screen wth a password", I noticed that the firewall "screensharingd" entry returned, and was BLOCKED. Changing it to allow connections does not seem to make a difference.

Something doesn't seem right with this.

BTW, it doesn't seem to make a difference, even if I do the above as root.

Oct 29, 2013 6:24 PM in response to ealtson

Checked Console logs... The firewall is definitely the problem here. Even with "allow incoming connections", the firewall is still blocking the connection.

Oct 29 18:15:37 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: screensharingd: Deny TCP CONNECT (in:1 out:0)

Oct 29 18:16:07 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: screensharingd: Deny TCP CONNECT (in:9 out:0)

Oct 29 18:16:30 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: Stealth Mode connection attempt to UDP 4 time

Oct 29 18:16:37 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: screensharingd: Deny TCP CONNECT (in:9 out:0)

Oct 29 18:17:07 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: screensharingd: Deny TCP CONNECT (in:12 out:0)

Oct 29 18:17:37 The-Center.local socketfilterfw[948] <Info>: screensharingd: Deny TCP CONNECT (in:2 out:0)

Oct 30, 2013 12:06 PM in response to dkauper

I am having the same issue. I use ARD to manage about 150 iMacs and I am in the process of building an image for 10.9. If i disable the firewall I can connect normally but if I enable it, nothing. But on another iMac with a different image just upgraded to 10.9 it works fine with the firewall enabled. Whats more interesting is I am able to manage the systems remotely (this uses port 3283) as well as SSH into them without issue with the firewall enabled. So the SSH and Remote management firewall exceptions are working fine but screen sharing (port 5900) seems to be blocked even though there is an exception rule in the firewall settings.

Nov 1, 2013 12:00 PM in response to dkauper

I was finally able to ge this working. On a 10.9 system that screen sharing is working I went in an copied the RemoteManagement folder from /System/Library/CoreServices/ and replaced this file on the system that was not working. I then rebooted and screen sharing / ARD worked with out issue. I have rebooted multiple times. The firewall is enabled and the screensharingd exception is staying green (allow).

Nov 1, 2013 2:19 PM in response to dbg1596

Logging out of iCloud did not solve the problem on my new iMac, however, running Mountain Lion.

I still haven't gotten that working.

If I turn the firewall off, screen sharing works. Once the connection has been made, you can turn the firewall on again and screen sharing continues to work, but once you close the connection you can't connect again.

Nov 3, 2013 1:07 AM in response to dkauper

I can more or less confirm the suggestions by Miska_FL and ealtson / joedec:

On the iMacs I manage, I needed to remove the the "sceensharingd" entry from System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options… (and restart — but just for good measures. Didn't try if it worked without restarting).

On the MacBook Pros I only needed to uncheck Screen Sharing under System Preferences > Sharing. However here, I needed tot restart before rechecking Screen Sharingfor it to work. The "sceensharingd" entry was nog present on the MacBook Pros.

mavericks screen sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.