Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Preview App annoyance - no way to scroll with mouse

Apple apparently thinks everyone uses their trackpad. Not.

There's now no way to scroll down with a mouse as with ML. I have to take my hand off it and use the trackpad to scroll down. And since Logitech hasn't released new software, and the old doesn't play well with Mavericks (I had to uninstall it and use the default drivers in OS X), I'm stuck at least for now.

Hopefully, I can revert to the old version from a backup.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 15-Inch early 2008

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 6:07 PM

14 replies

Oct 25, 2013 6:27 AM in response to SolidSun

As I suspected, the ML version of Preview does not work with Mavericks.

I have, therefore, made my default PDF viewer Acrobat Reader. And sent a nasty but diplomatic note to Apple. With artsy silliness like this, they shouldn't wonder why IT people keep resisting corporate rollouts of Mac. And I still miss my arrows and wide scroll bars in the OS that are close to a necessitiy with spreadsheets and other business apps. Apparently, nobody in Cupertino uses mice.

Nov 18, 2013 9:38 AM in response to LeafsMac

I find that the issue occurs only/primarily when the window is maximised (or maybe complete screen width).

When opening the PDF I cannot scroll

Once I scale the window to a smaller size, I can actually scroll

Once I scale the window back to a larger size, I cannot scroll anymore again

Do you have this behavior as well?

For now will use something else to view PDFs...

Nov 21, 2013 7:28 PM in response to LeafsMac

I have a similar issue.

Scrolling with the Mighty Mouse is just fine most of the time. But occasionally one application will just stop scrolling, both up/down and side-to-side, and all documents in that application - size of window makes no difference. Close the application and re-open it, and the problem has gone . . . . for now. A few days later it re-appears, maybe in a different application, maybe the same one again. Usually only one application at a time, and Preview has been one of them, Mail another.

I have only seen this since upgrading to Mavericks, so it sounds like a problem with that new OS. We can hope that Apple will get it fixed in the next Mavericks update, assuming they know about it: there must be a way of reporting something like this.

Nov 22, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Paul Fryer

have you tried https://bugreport.apple.com

This was posted on macrumours and is incredibly accurate to my case:

Running Mavericks, if I open a single-page PDF document in Preview and size the window to 822+ pixels tall (800+ viewable document area) then the vertical scroll bar disappears (I have it set to “always” show) and the normal two-finger scrolling does not work in the up-and-down direction.

I can still “flick” two fingers to scroll, and if I scroll at a diagonal angle it will work, but it won’t scroll normally up and down. Resizing the window to less than 822 pixels tall solves the problem, making the scroll bar reappear and the trackpad scroll gesture works properly.

Multi-page PDFs, as well as non-PDF files, scroll just fine. It is only single-page PDFs, and only when the window shows at least 800 vertical pixels of the document, that Preview stops vertical scrolling.

Major Preview App annoyance - no way to scroll with mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.