Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '13 speed slider?

I lost the speed slider on my video clips! How can I get it back?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 6:02 PM

23 replies

Oct 28, 2013 4:10 AM in response to greenblue1144

Audio works the same as the video clip. A separate audio track will slow down or speed up, reverse etc...

On the video you say you're selecting and it's greyed out, I can't see the video clip in your screen shot. Is it an actual video clip you imported or is it a Photo, Title Clip or a Maps/Background clip? You can't adjust the speed on those, you can only change the duration.

Oct 31, 2013 2:10 PM in response to greenblue1144

Same problem here, tried EVERYTHING, select a clip range, modify... ALL slow motion and FF options are greyed out, tried resetting clips, different clips, different time ranges, no transitions etc. VERY annoying. The only way I can do it is to double click the selected clip range into the 'clip editor' and do it through there - not very cool Apple! it used to be so easy - will be going back to previous version as this seems junk to me.

Nov 13, 2013 11:53 PM in response to greenblue1144

Solved: Here is the fix/solution, i found this page tryign to fix this myself, it seems to be a bug, or strange way that imovie '13 works.

What you are probably doing is the same as me, clicking on your project on the left side, so all your clips are in the bottom window and the video preview is above it. In this 'view' the fast forward control etc will be unavailable.

Click on All Projects on the left hand side, click on your project in there.

Select all of the video and drag into the bottom window, highlight what you want to edit, the fast forward options shoudl be available now.

let me know if this doesn't make sense to anyone.

Nov 15, 2013 3:40 AM in response to greenblue1144

I have just had success in getting the slider. After selecting the clip in the timeline that you want to change the speed of you have to double-click it to open the clip trimmer. Only then will the Slow Motion and Fast Forward options under the Modify menu be active. (This step is missing from the instructions in iMovie help under "Slow down and speed up clips"). You will now have a slowed down or speeded up clip in the trimmer and a turtle or rabbit icon will appear in the centre of the clip. Clicking on this while the clip is in the clip trimmer will do nothing. You have to exit the clip trimmer first by clicking on the "Close Clip Trimmer" button. This clip now goes back in line with the others in the timeline but still has the turtle/rabbit badge. Now if you click on the turtle or rabbit the speed popup window will appear and you can select a different speed as well as reverse and preserve pitch (a very useful improvement of iMovie 9). Selecting a custom speed on the other hand does not seem to do anything.

You only have to go through the clip trimmer step when you are changing the speed of a clip which is not already slowed down or speeded up. Any clips with the turtle/rabbit can be changed again directly in the timeline (unless you revert them to 100%).

Its a rather strange behaviour but I think its due to the need sometimes to do some processing on a clip before its speed can be changed (as was the case in iMovie 9).

I hope this helps.

iMovie '13 speed slider?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.