Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.2 (32) Mavericks function keys not working

Just got the new Mavericks update and the new iTunes update, and now while I'm not in my iTunes app I cannot use the F7, F8 or F9 keys to skip, rewind or play/pause songs. I have not changed anything withing my shortcuts. Any fixes to this?

MacBook Air, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 6:50 PM

17 replies

Nov 7, 2013 6:08 AM in response to GolHahDov

Hi there,
I have the same problem, since I installed Mavericks F7, F8 and F9 are not doing anything (with iTunes). I checked the function key settings and it should be okay, the box 'Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' is unticked. All the other function keys, like brightness, mute and volume setting work perfectly, it's only the iTunes control keys that don't function. What's even stranger is that when I tick the aforementioned box and try to use the iTunes control keys by holding down fn, they still don't work. Please help, it is really annoying having to switch back to iTunes all the time to control the music. (I'm using iTunes 11.1.3 (8).)

Jul 8, 2014 11:55 PM in response to GolHahDov

I am having the same issue. I've looked into all the function settings and reset everything to their default settings. I have had no luck. I have had Spotify on my machine for at least 6 months now and when that is open, it takes control of the F7, F8, F9 keys and their respective commands. After I quit the application, iTunes regains control. I recently downloaded Google Play music and ever since I have lost use of those keys in iTunes, even when Google Music is not running. I uninstalled Google music from my computer and checked the settings once more to be sure everything is factory default. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them because I'm totally stumped/a little frustrated.

Aug 6, 2014 7:28 AM in response to ekrekeler

Hello everyone! I had the same problem and could't find any accessible solving of this problem. But then I read that Google Play Music can have some bad influence on PLAY/STOP control buttons. So according to that, I deleted Google Play Music( like plugin ) from the Google Chrome and all began to work well.
P.S. I tried to delete Google Play Music in other way, but I could't find it anywhere also in directories which was motioned here, so I found it by Google Chrome browser in the set of it's extensions.

Aug 6, 2014 10:16 AM in response to andropoliss

I just found this out myself. It's not the Google Play Music Manager, because that's just an executable that uploads your music files. The Google Play extension for Chrome uploads music from the computer, but it also has a built-in mini-player that can be used to control the music that's playing on an open tab of Google Music. The extention does the same thing under Windows, too. It sets a key-listener for those three function keys (RW, Play, FF) and disables the key-listener that iTunes uses on those keys so that they can be used exclusively to control the music for Google Play. Also the extension doesn't have to be deleted for the keys to work for iTunes. You can disable the extension if you plan on using it again but want to use iTunes for the moment, or just quit chrome (not click on the red close window button, I mean Command+Q or Chrome>Quit Chrome on the taskbar). Then the buttons work with iTunes or Windows Media Player if you're running Windows.

iTunes 11.1.2 (32) Mavericks function keys not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.