Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't download the Enhanced Dictation Engine

User uploaded file

This is self explanatory. I get the error "An unexpected error occurred when I try to enable the Enhanced dictation engine." Note that this is not just turning dictation on; this problem occurs when I try to check the box that says: "Use enhanced dictation." This engine is supposed to enable you to use dictation with no Internet access available. It's one of the great things about Mavericks :-) It's a 785 MB download ....

Verifed several times that I have Internet access; so, clearly something is wrong at the Apple end. Tried to do this several times at different times today. This problem has persisted the whole day today. (10/24/2013)

I wanted to make an error report to Apple but I was unable to find the place at the apple support site where I can file a bug report about Mavericks and its components.

Can someone else try to enable the enhanced dictation engine and see if you get the same error. I'd like to see if this is an isolated case or it is a more global problem.User uploaded file

Thanks.

OSX Mavericks Enhanced Dictation-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Enhanced Dictation (offline engine)

Posted on Oct 24, 2013 7:23 PM

80 replies

Jan 24, 2017 5:25 AM in response to Benb2012

this solution does not work for me.

I am getting the same error as per your screenshot.

User uploaded file

I have tried the solution specified in this thread to no avail.

I have tried changing my system language to English (US) and trying to download enhanced dictation using the English (US) package - but that does not work either.

I have tried to find com.apple.SpeechRecognitionCore but it does not exist on this version of OSX (OS X Sierra 10.12.3).

I have also tried to download the package from a different network, but that also failed.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Oct 25, 2013 3:16 AM in response to Benb2012

I'm also having the same issue, but with the "English Australia" dictation engine. I've tried selecting and de-selecting options, restarting, looking for download issues for the Mavericks offline dictation engine and this appears to be the only spot on the Internet where anyone's talking about it.

Apple, please help! A manual download option would be great, or simply a working automatic download capability. :-)

Thank you!

Oct 25, 2013 5:11 PM in response to Benb2012

I am getting the exact same error. I have tried a couple times a day since installing Mavericks and never get beyond the "finding dictation download" (or whatever that exact text is) stage. Apple, please fix this so that we can use proper dictation, as we see fit to use it, on our Macs. I too don't understand why this wasn't just built into the OS install.

Oct 25, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Benb2012

I just got my enhanced dictation to download - finally!

If you are having the same issue, try going to this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468660?answerId=23513414022#23513414022 or just follow these instructions:

1. Go to
    ~/Library/Preferences
    ( ++G )
  2. Locate
    com.apple.assistant.plist
    and move it to the Trash
  3. Open Dictation & Speech preference panel, disable dictation
  4. Reboot
  5. Re-enable Dictation & Speech.

Best of luck!

Oct 25, 2013 5:50 PM in response to Crownofthorns17

I have the same problem, and that solution didn't work for me.

For me when I select "Start Dictation" from the "Edit Menu", I get a dialog box that gives the following messages:

Finding Enhanced Dictation…

Preparing to Download

Installing Enhanced Dictation…

And then nothing.

When I select "Start Dictation", I just get the dialog again with the same messages.

Wouldn't it be nice if an Apple representative could chime in to help right about now.

Oct 25, 2013 8:52 PM in response to Crownofthorns17

Well, that fix did indeed work for me.

However, I went a step further and deleted all the "com.apple.assistant" plists. Not just the one listed in the steps above, but also the ".support" and ".token" ones before rebooting. Perhaps that will help you.

I think that I first tried downloading Enhanced Dictation right after installing Mavericks when my Mac was slowed down by Spotlight reindexing, and had to cancel the download.

My guess about what happend is that the token used to get the download was never deleted in that first attempt for some reason and therefore the subsequent attempts couldn't get passed finding the download because of an issue with the token used to authenticate being outdated but since one was there it couldn't get a new one from Apple. But that is just my educated guess.

Now I have real dictation (used to "type" this out in part) on my Mac rather than the iOS-style Siri-backed thing that wouldn't work for long chunks of speech. Thanks for the steps to fix this and I hope my additional steps here help those for whom the first set of steps fail.

Oct 25, 2013 9:02 PM in response to Evan_Beezy

Did you follow each of the instructions above?

1. Press these keys simultaneously: (shift +command+G)

2. In the dialog box that appears after step 1, copy and paste the following :

~/Library/Preferences

3. Hit return/enter

4. You will be presented with a ton of files, but you should be able to find the

com.apple.assistant.plist

5. Move it to the Trash and Empty your Trash

6. Open Dictation & Speech preference panel and turn off dictation

7. Restart your computer

8. Open Dictation & Speech preference panel, turn on dictation

9. Select Enhanced Dictation

10. Download should begin and install correctly

I hope this helps.

can't download the Enhanced Dictation Engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.