Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xcode-select --install command failed to execute

I want to install Macports on Mavericks according to this page: http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MavericksProblems

But I can't run this command from terminal: xcode-select --install

It gives an error message: Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

Anyone can help me find out what's the problem here? How else can I install Macports?

In addition, is there anyway that I can check that the command line tools are correctly installed in Mavericks? I'm using Xcode 5.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 1:57 AM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2013 9:20 AM in response to jore2061

Thanks for the answer. I actually did that first to install the command line tool. But since I was following the instruction on MacPorts website, when I couldn't run that command, I don't know if the command line tools have been correctly installed. Hence my question here...

MacPorts just release a new installation package for Mavericks, so it seems to "solve" my problem for now. But still don't understand why that command is failed to run.

Oct 27, 2013 1:50 PM in response to jore2061

I'm having the same problem with installing my command line tools through terminal, and i downloaded the mavericks tools off of the dev site; but now gcc has no man pages! it still works to compile stuff, but I have to look up my flags on the internet now rather than being able to just use man. did either of you guys have this problem?

Oct 28, 2013 3:09 PM in response to jore2061

I installed Mavericks and Xcode 5.0.1 today. Now Terminal never works: opens a window, then gives error message: "[Command not found:[[] (newline) [Could not create new process and open a pseudoo-tty]".

I have downloaded CommandLineTools using your directions -- thank you, Jore2061 -- but this hasn't changed the behavior of Terminal.

Any suggestions how to fix? I totally depend on Terminal for running C- and Python programs.

It might be related to fact that Xcode 5.0.1 seemed to completely install, upto "1 minute left". After a half-hour of "1 minute left" I quite the Updater.

Oct 28, 2013 6:05 PM in response to pfrowat

I'm totally paralyzed as well. Even after installing the "Command Line Tools (OS X Mavericks) for Xcode - Late October 2013", I can't run C/Python programs from the Terminal. The header files aren't being linked.

Wha'ts interesting is that running:

xcode-select --install

worked the first time I ran it, and I was able to install the tools I needed manually. But the header files are unlinked now, and I don't know what to do.

I try running the command again, and I get the same error message described above.

xcode-select --install command failed to execute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.