Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use "deep color" (10-bit each color) on actual mac-mini?

Hello,

I want to use deep-color (10-bit each color) with a supporting monitor, i.e. Asus PA279Q, with an actual mac mini. The monitor has a displayport adapter, so I can make a connection over thunderbolt, that is not the problem.

Is it possible to use this color depth (1 billion colors) with a mac-mini - intel hd graphics 4000 - os x mavericks ?

Where can I set this color depth - or will osx recognize this automatically by the monitor typ?

Can I use this color depth with the new mac-pro (2013)?

Best regards

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:57 AM

This says no for ML.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5098017?answerId=22233389022#22233389022

I have not seen anything about Mavericks.

3 replies

Oct 25, 2013 8:13 AM in response to lllaass

Hi Illaass

thank you for the answer. I feel sad about this, because I wanted to go from Windows to Mac. But for prof work on images (no video) I need 10-bit support.

And I wonder about that. I thought the Macs are for creative people, for a "design"-life / work.

Whats about the expensive new MacPros (2013)? Is here anyone else who can provide information about the deep-color support on this kind of hardware? Maybe originary from Apple Inc. because the hardware is not yet at the market?

Oct 25, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Gordon_Shumway

in the meantime I have found this about Mavericks and 10-bit color depth:

"10-bit video displays: Photoshop users and other graphics professionals have wanted proper support for 10-bits-per-channel video displays on Macs. (This isn’t about the file format, but the data path to the video monitor. Most displays support 8 bits per channel of color, but some high-end monitors support 10 bits per channel for smoother gradations and better color accuracy.) To support 10-bit video requires an unbroken chain of components: The monitor, the graphics card, the cable, the application, and the operating system and its graphics driver software. If any part of the chain doesn’t support 10-bit video, it won’t work. And it might not work on the Mac any time soon, due to Apple’s continuing lack of 10-bit video APIs in OS X. The displays are ready, the graphics cards are ready, compatible DisplayPort cables are ready, Photoshop is ready…OS X remains the one broken link in the chain and there is no sign that this has changed in Mavericks."

See also:

http://blog.conradchavez.com/2013/10/22/os-x-10-9-mavericks-will-adobe-software- work/

amongst others: several people have -not simple- problems with Adobe products after Maverick update.

Could at be, that a 3.000 $ or more $ workstation user has no possibility to work with images in 10-bit mode with Apple products? And you cannot change the graphic cards in it, but I think the cards are not the problem. I think it is a good idea to spent only 1 million $ of the more than 100 billion $ (100.000.000.000) cash reserves that Apple Inc. has to solve this little problem.

For this amount I will write a driver for this.

Its up to you, Timi.

Can I use "deep color" (10-bit each color) on actual mac-mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.