Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging cable malfunction. HELP :/

I purchased a 5m usb charging cable for my ipad mini online in July. Up until about a month ago it worked fine, but one day when i connected my ipad to charge it came up with the message "charging is not supported with this accessory." I'm not really sure what happened because the charger just stays on my bedside table and i connect the ipad at night. I tried turning the ipad off and on etc but it still didnt work, tried using another plug socket and another adaptor for the usb cable but that also didnt work. To test that it wasn't infact my Ipad playing up I tried the original usb cable to charge it and that worked fine (though due to its short length is rather inconvenient hence my purchase of a longer cable). The 5m cable also still works when connecting my ipad to my laptop but wont charge it at the same time. I did not purchase this item from the apple store therefore it has no warrenty or anything so i dont really have the option to send it in or anything like that. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

I'm not entirely sure what operating system i have .. but i havent updated it to the new ios 7.0.3

Ipad mini-OTHER

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 2:54 AM

6 replies

Oct 25, 2013 5:36 AM in response to cheeky.monkey246

iOS7 activated software on the iPad that looks for authorized cables. Lightning cables have chips in them that broadcast a code. If the cable has been authorized by apple, as in Apple said 'sure so and so company, you can make cables' then the cable will broadcast a code the iPad recognizes. But if the manufacturer just makes them without Apple's permission then Apple doesn't recognize that code.

It's been said that this is a response to people that have been injured and even killed by charging issues while using non-authorized cables.

Your device should continue to charge, but you will see that warning every time you plug it in. If the warning bugs you you may want to start looking for another option.

Oct 25, 2013 5:42 AM in response to Skydiver119

That makes sense if i had iOS7, but I havent updated my ipad to iOS7 or at all since i started using that cable so i dont understand why it would suddenly stop recognizing it .. and my ipad wont charge at all when using that cable, i wouldnt care about the warning if the cable still worked, i would just click ok and leave it.. but my problem is that it wont charge

Charging cable malfunction. HELP :/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.