Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot disable automatic attachment preview in Mavericks Mail?

Hello All,

I noticed after upgrading to Mavericks that Apple Mail started automatically previewing attachments again... I had disabled this in previous versions of OS X. I tried to disable this again in the terminal using:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

But after re-starting Mail, attachments are being automatically previewed again.

I consider this a security issue so I would like to disable automatic attachment previewing as soon as possible. Has anyone been able to do this with the Mail included with Mavericks yet?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 4:26 AM

10 replies

Apr 4, 2014 4:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

I agree with Dreadnought = to me it's also a SECURITY ISSUE.

Security Issues are not what you define to be; they are what we feel it's dangering our privacy...

Security Issues are not even what any technician defines it to be!

Neither you nor any expert has the monoply of defining what is a security issue to any of us.

Just a basic examplo: getting an email with an open image, that the 2 people around me can immediately see, can pose a serious security for anything I'm doing with my Mac!

So, you see, SECURITY is much more than a mere technical problem!

Cheers 🙂

Apr 4, 2014 4:41 AM in response to alfa1956

Just a basic examplo: getting an email with an open image, that the 2 people around me can immediately see, can pose a serious security for anything I'm doing with my Mac!

So, you see, SECURITY is much more than a mere technical problem!

Cheers 🙂

That's a privacy problem, not a security problem.

If you are receiving images in emails that the others arround you are not qualified to see, your office setup is the security problem, not Mail.

Use a different email client that gives you the option. I have no idea what those are, though.

Cannot disable automatic attachment preview in Mavericks Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.