Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Macbook pro keyboard and trackpad randomly become unresponsive forcing restart in OSX Mavericks?

Randomly when using OSX Mavericks, since installing yesterday, my mid-2012 Macbook Pro keyboard and trackpad freeze and become unresponsive.

The computer is still running whatever I was doing, the computer does not crash, i just cannot control it and the only way I have found as a fix is to restart.

This never happened in Mountain Lion.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:08 AM

9 replies

Oct 28, 2013 1:25 AM in response to Jeter_lamore

Very similarly.

Mac Mini late 2012. i7 CPU, 16GB ram. 12GB unused.

After installing Mavericks, it seems to grind my system to a halt. It is still running (I can move the cursor and activity monitor updates processes) but every application I try to launch results in a colorful waiting sign. It even can take a minute or more before an application shows "any" sign of starting.

I tried to open a terminal session (so I could manually kill a process) but the terminal session did not even process. It timed out after 5 minutes.

Acitivity monitor shows 90-95% idle and I have no idea what's causing it.

I have already rebuild disk and reset permissions (all seemed fine) 3 times.

I've rebooted over 8 times since last night. I cannot use my Mac anymore reliably.

Please help.

Oct 28, 2013 10:56 AM in response to azrc

I do want to clarify that in my case my keyboard or mouse DO remain responsive. It's just like Mac OS X is running at 1% of the speed.

CPU shows about 90% idle though.

I just came back home and even logging in did not complete after 12 minutes so I had to physically reboot AGAIN. More than 12 times since yesterday.

All apps have been updated to the latest versions with no difference.

Oct 31, 2013 5:46 PM in response to Jeter_lamore

Same problem here with a 2011 MacBookAir

Cannot predict when system will crash.....sometimes after putting the MBA to sleep and the login screen doesn't come back, and sometimes right after booting up the screen just freezes, even worse is when I try to do very simple things like browsing youtube or facebook the colorful loading icon appears, then after 10sec of so the whole thing became unresponsive. When it is working most of the time the heat sink fan is running like crazy while nothing really demanding is running, and the status monitor indicates that CPU reaches a temperature of 80+ C.

Before upgrading to Maverick I never need to force shut my MBA, nor I never worry about not able to login back after putting it to sleep. Now I feel like using a PC in my old days with the crappy Windows OS.

Why does my Macbook pro keyboard and trackpad randomly become unresponsive forcing restart in OSX Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.