Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie export

For whatever reason, the help files in Mavericks will not load in my iMac or I would search for the answer there. I am using the new iMovie (10) that comes with Mavericks. Prior to the Mavericks upgrade the export (share) to file would produce a .mov file. Now the export to file produces an .mp4 file. For my purpose .mov would be better. Is there a way to export to file as a .mov file instead of .mp4 ?

Thanks,

Todd

iMovie 10-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:12 AM

31 replies

Nov 17, 2013 9:40 PM in response to techlistener

You should still have the older iMovie version; if you can't work with the .mp4 file, you should be able to import it into the older version and use the Export settings of your choice from there. I don't care too much for the lack of functionality in the new version - it appears to be about fast processing and cloud-centric.

Nov 18, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Kevin Delgadillo1

I've only played with the new iMovie a couple of times, but was not impressed. I actually edit; I also layer videos, do special effects, green screen, etc, etc, so I will try the new version one more time, but for now, I prefer to stay with the older versions - I actually still use iMovie HD 06 as it is the only version that will process your video losslessly. In any case, in both of those versions, you have many options when you want to export, whereas the new version chooses it for you (and you have no idea what the settings are) - that makes it pretty much a non-starter for me.

Nov 18, 2013 7:32 PM in response to babowa

This blows -- MP4 video output from iMovie 10 plays with an obvious stuttering or "jerky" playback that is not present in the original MOV videos from my iPhone 5.

I can import the MP4 video into iMovie '11 (9.0.9) but there is no way to export it as MOV.

Does anyone else have an issue with jerky playback of iMovie 10 MP4 output on their Apple TV 3?

Bummer that it looks like I need to recreate this project from scratch in iMovie 9.0.9 in order to export it as MOV to get a usable MP4 file.

Not impressed with iMovie 10.

iMovie export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.