Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use VectorWorks 12.5 after installing Mavericks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 7:06 AM

16 replies

Jan 4, 2014 5:18 AM in response to Csound1

At almost a £1000 updating to 2014 is non viable for me from VW 2012 (and presumably a lot of other people). As a pc user just about to make the jump into apple, I am really disappointed with both Apple and Vectorworks/Nemetsheck - I am beginning to appreciate where some of the 'apple detractor's are coming from. I have held off waiting for the recent Macbook pro with no appreciation of the way that apple 'controls' the opertating system. So I cant have the latest hardware without Mavericks and thus rendering current software obsolete?

Currently I use vectorworks on a pc, so is it feasible to have a pc 'partition' on mavericks / current macbook pro (which would also allow me to use Excel etc). If so how exactly should I set it up and what would be the ideal ram / hard drive memeory configuration? Thx.

Jan 4, 2014 6:40 AM in response to smudge2013

Of course Apple control their own operating system, who else would you expect.

It is nothing to do with Apple if other vendors fail to keep there applications compatible with OS X, even less so if they decide to charge $1000 for doing so.

If you want to use a 'PC' partition you need Boot Camp (already on your Mac) and a licensed copy of Windows to install there.

Read the Boot Camp directions thoroughly, then read them again and make a complete backup of your Mac prior to starting. Take that advice seriously.

Frankly you would be better served by buyng a PC rather than a Mac.

Jan 4, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Csound1

Yes, there is a problem with nemetshek 'forcing' us to upgrade for little return, but there is also a 'problem' with apple which wont allow me to buy the most current model of Macbook pro without Mavericks. I know because I have asked apple UK. Also when windows 8 came out it still worked with previous software, so why is apple bring out an OS which is not compatable with older software - responsibility with both parties in my opinion.

I really wanted to go apple with my next laptop (I have an ipad and apple phone, so it made sense), but the 'forced to uograde' thing makes me hesitate even if 'bootcamp' would be a solution for the moment.

Feb 11, 2014 9:32 AM in response to Martien Vogelezang

Ok so here is your best and cheapest solution:

Order a Snow Leopard Disc (bootable) from Apple or Lion USB drive (bootable) ?, as these are the only 2 semi-newer platforms that will support older VWX. Then create a separate OS via Bootcamp. Be sure to partition plenty of space for your now dedicated Snow Leopard OS system. This is stable, compared to parellels or fusion, and you won't have to spend the money upgrading your VWX.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.