Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks won't sleep when closing the lid

Yesterday I installed Mavericks and I have noticed that it not longer enters sleep mode when I close the lid.

I tested two things:

1.- Close all applications that where running (mainly MS Outlook 2011)

2.- Turn off wifi.

Both let it go into sleeping mode. So I suppose that something related with wifi connection is preventing it from going to sleep mode. But I'm not able to determine what is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:42 AM

26 replies

Oct 25, 2013 8:45 AM in response to jzarzuela

Can you please try to reset the NVRAM?

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Oct 25, 2013 10:12 AM in response to petvas

If it were an issue with the PRAM, I don't think it would be happening all of a sudden to so many people who just installed Mavericks. I have a 2007 MBP with the same issue as everone else: light won't pulse, it gets very hot while the lid is closed, I don't think the HHD stops spinning, and sometimes the display won't wake when I open the lid, forcing me to do a hard restart.

Oct 25, 2013 6:34 PM in response to jzarzuela

this is in no way shape or form a NVRAM or PRAM issue. this started to occur around the 7th developer build for me and hasnt been recified since. prior to this DP sleep was working fine.

Also when i boot up my internal HD installation of snow leopard it sleeps instantly. so obviously it isnt software.

Every will just have to wait for an update

Nov 3, 2013 2:40 AM in response to jzarzuela

I have a late 2012 mac pro, when running mountain lion or even Lion, my machine would always sleep on schedule, where the hard drives would spin down and the white status light would go in to pulse mode. after upgrading to mavericks this is no longer the case although my third party screen would turn off. anyone having the same problem with a mac pro too??

Dec 4, 2013 6:12 PM in response to jzarzuela

I had this happen about 5 times, once last long closed and when I realized the machine was very hot weather and never slept when closed and the keyboard is the exhaust heat whip remained obstructed.

I've had more problems with my machine in genral this slower, constantly locking and music in iTunes pause a few seconds and then returns to normal, someone could solve this?

no longer close my macbook without turning it off because I have been afraid that this will burn or something like that and not let her to sleep.

Restore a clean intalacion, concerned about the PVRAM, repair permissions, hise the apple hardware test. Failures and no longer continue to do'm very sad.

😟

Mavericks won't sleep when closing the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.