Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks forgetting my display arrangement

I have a MacBook Pro with three external displays - two of which are connected via USB/DisplayLink adapter. Since upgrading to Mavericks, my system forgets the display arrangement every time I reboot. It defaults back to "mirroring" which I have to fix and then the order of the monitors is wrong which I also have to fix. This is quite annoying.

On top of that, I have the issues that others have mentioned - screen flickering when opening the Mail application, lagging mouse pointer, etc.

According to DisplayLink, this needs to be fixed in an OSX update. Does anyone know if there are plans for this and/or is there a workaround?

(and yes, I do have the new beta driver for DisplayLink)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 8 GB Ram • 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 7:36 AM

6 replies

Nov 23, 2013 9:21 AM in response to Raptor235

I have 2 external displays, and with both connected the window manager has crashed once, and the entire system locked up once. All is fine if only one external display is attached. But with both, I have all kinds of odd behavior.

I have had to plug the second external monitor into the mini-display port, which sort of defeats the purpose of the dock - but at least no more crashing.

Dec 11, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Community User

Same exact problem, but I've got a Mac Pro with dual video cards and 2 cinema displays. Nearly every reboot, I am changing the display arrangement. A call to Apple Tech Support had me booting to safe mode. That didn't help and the problem continues. Same system worked perfectly under Mt. Lion. Fresh install of Mavericks and it still keeps forgetting the display arragement.

Jan 20, 2014 4:26 AM in response to Community User

I found this from another thread in Mountain Lion:

john199527

Hello everyone,

While I fear everyone may have moved on to the ten grand can by this point, I am still trying to get this issue with the older Mac Pro resolved. I have some exciting news for you all!

About a week ago, I had had enough, so I unplugged my Mac Pro, and carried it 10 blocks down to the Apple Store in Charleston, SC, where I was graciously greeted by the genius team whom I had previously spoke to about the problem. We did some testing in the store and were in fact able to replicate the problem. The genius spent some time looking through Apple's logs of cases and support documentation, but was unable to find anything relating to this issue. The next step he then told me, was to escalate the issue to the engineering department. I was told I would hear a response back in about a week. To my amazement, it was less than 48 hours later. I got a call from the same guy at the local Apple store. He told me that he spoke to the engineering team and said this, "this is a software or firmware bug that has recently been brought to light. The issue is related to the order in which the displays are powered on/brought out of sleep." I was told the best thing for me to do next, was to head over to apple.com/feedback and fill out a software bug feature request. I did so, and I would suggest that all of you, still have this issue do the same as well!

I will certainly keep you all informed of any further developments.

-John

Mar 4, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Community User

I have the same problems. I have been a mac user since 1982 and cannot believe that this issue has been lingering around since 2012 and no solution yet. Not right, Apple. In a work corporate environment, multiple displays is the norm, not exception. It is a waste of time to reconfigure my displays many times a day. Every time I un-dock/re-dock my mac, I had to re-configure my display arrangements. It is ridiculous.

Mavericks forgetting my display arrangement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.