Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major change to previews in 3.5?

Ok did I miss the memo or have I been in front of the computer for to long?

For another post here I started looking into previews and started seeing some different behavior between 3.5 and earlier versions This sound crazy but I don;t think Aperture is using the Preview folder and its contents anymore.

The first hint came with the wording in the Previews Preference for sharing. It is no longer share the preview but share the XML. Then I try dragging an image out of Aperture which always resulted in a small file size depending on the Previews setting in Preferences. With 3.5 I am seeing full sized files when I drag out regardless of the preview setting.

Then I started deleting previews which caused the preview file to be removed from the library but when I regenerate the preview no new file appears in the Previews folder. In addition even after deleting the preview when you select update preview Aperture reports the preview is up-to-date. This after it was deleted.

Finally I deleted the whole preview folder, Aperture didn't burp or regenerate the folder either.

This is with managed originals. Haven't tried it yet with referenced originals off-line. That should be interesting.

Can someone else look at this and let me know if I need a long vacation 😕

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Safari 6.0.5,Aperture 3.4.5

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 8:14 AM

11 replies

Oct 25, 2013 10:28 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

Thus far I have only allowed one of my libraries to convert. But following that conversion and testing I added new photos to it with 3.5, and there is a folder within Previews for those new photos, designated by the month they were imported (October) along with that of the original photos imported in April.

Not sure what further test to make to help you?

Ernie

Btw, I am running my rMBP from a boot volume on an USB3 external drive in Mt. Lion, and processing and adding to my Alpha library with that to maintain it and its clones for use on my MP running Lion. The internal boot volume is the one I upgraded to Mavericks, and this library is a Managed one on that drive.

Oct 25, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I'm not sure yet either. I wasn't having my Aperture library showing up in other areas where I could generally see it (i.e. screen saver), but I just turned sharing off (entirely) and then re-set it to "always" and it showed up there.

I need to delete some previews and see how that affects things.

I did just drag an image from Aperture to my desktop and the image was a JPEG that was dragged seems to be the size of my preview (fit within 2560x2560 which is my screen size).

Oct 25, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Trying:

Create a new library in Aperture 3.5, with these settings:

User uploaded file

• Aperture creates an empty Previews folder.
  • I cannot drag any images from Aperture.
  • After trying to drag from Aperture the Previews folder is still empty.
  • But after trying to drag two images the Photos Browser in Mail is showing thumbs of the two images that I wanted to drag.

User uploaded file

Trying to drag other images does not change, what I am seeing in the Media Browser.

Using "update Preview" does not change the Previews folder.

Opening the Aperture Library in iPhoto - but the Preview folder stays empty.

But I can drag images from the Browser.

Back to Aperture, and editing a few images. Still no previews. And still not possibe to drag from the Aperture window.

The Media Browser still shows the same two photos.

Oct 26, 2013 2:01 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi guys,

I found that: "In Aperture 3.5, sharing previews with other Apple applications is now handled differently than in previous versions. Previews from the Aperture library are always available to iMovie, Safari, Mail, and so on, regardless of Aperture's settings. This means that the sharing preference has been renamed from "Share previews with iLife and iWork" to "Share XML with other applications." (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5932)

I did some testing I found out that..

- For raws you still need to create previews in order to use the file from other apps (mail etc.) and drag&drop

- You can use and drag&drop all jpgs with their original size AS LONG AS you have not made any adjustments, otherwise you need to create a preview

I think the second point is not intuitively at all! However, if it might really save a lot of space (in my case 10 GB, because I deleted all previews of jpgs I won't adjust anymore)

In order to use jpgs you have adjusted you could create a preview after you did some changes (pretty clumsy though I guess).

Oct 26, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Visionary17

Visionary17 wrote:

In order to use jpgs you have adjusted you could create a preview after you did some changes (pretty clumsy though I guess).

There is (in 3.4.x) a setting (on the Advanced tab of Preferences) to "Create new versions when making adjustments".

I haven't upgraded Aperture or OS X. The above might work with what you've described. Afaict, there is some work that much needs to be done to make the new Previews behavior meet users needs.

Nov 1, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

Unfortunately, the Create New Version setting makes a new version of the file, leaving your original and your adjusted every time you make a change. I think most people want just a single iteration of each photograph, tweaked to perfection. I find making a new version only necessary when creating a major new work, ie. a black and white version or a version radically adjusted for a specific printer.

Nov 1, 2013 11:18 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I'm cross posting to this thread to see if others are noticing the same behavior as me.

The biggest kerfuffle is the full size images coming out of the media browser in other apps, as noted below.

Without forcing Aperture to create a new preview by slightly adjusting the image, Aperture serves up a full size master file in other applications using media browser or in Drag-and-Drop. Most unfortunate!!!

-----

For years I've been organizing my library in Aperture, and dragging thumbnails to the desktop for quick PDFs and 1-off emails.

This worked with RAW images AND .PSD files, adjusted or un-adjusted. I would always drag out a preview .jpg version of the image to the desktop.

In ver 3.5, when I drag a managed PSD file's thumbnail to the desktop, it copies the full PSD file!

If I make any adjustment to the file, even adjusting exposure and then re-settting it to 0, then the image preview will be transferred, but for straight files, it copies the Master to the desktop.

I've tried updating previews, deleting and re-generating previews to no avail. All preferences are identical, and when I switch back to my older library, the previews drag correctly. It's just the new library, created with the newest version of Aperture, that seems to work incorrectly.

I say "incorrectly" because Apple documentation states that the preview should be copied, not the original.

UPON FURTHER EXPERIMENTATION.. I realize that the original Master PDF is being used as the share between iPhoto, Mail, etc. When I drag from the Media Browser in Mail, I get the full PDF, not a Preview.

Major pain, in my opinion, and I wonder if anyone at Apple realizes that the full file is being shared.

Mac Pro

Mountain Lion

Aperture

All up to date

Nov 2, 2013 4:39 PM in response to Visionary17

Visionary17 wrote:

I found that: "In Aperture 3.5, sharing previews with other Apple applications is now handled differently than in previous versions. Previews from the Aperture library are always available to iMovie, Safari, Mail, and so on, regardless of Aperture's settings. This means that the sharing preference has been renamed from "Share previews with iLife and iWork" to "Share XML with other applications." (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5932)

I assume that iTunes is in the category of "...and so on" in the above? ie It is OK to have the XML setting on "never" if putting photos on iPad from Aperture with iTunes is the main use.

Nov 4, 2013 7:08 AM in response to DTKreutz

I am not using 10.9 and 3.5 in my primary workflow, but do have it set up for testing. I cannot replicate this report of dragging a photo from Aperture to the Desktop only to have it be the original format and pixel size. When I drag from the Browser, the resulting file is JPEG, and is half the size of the underlying NEF file -- just as my preferences are set.

Ernie

Major change to previews in 3.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.