Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

600 photos have gone missing in my photo stream...

I used to have about 800 pictures in my photo stream and about 700 of them have gone missing when I checked my photo stream today. I had photos from over a year ago in my photo stream the last time I checked (about few days ago). My question is how can I get the photos back because some of the photos were synced into my iPhoto but some weren't for some reason. Thanks🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 9:31 AM

7 replies

Oct 25, 2013 10:05 AM in response to kathyko2006

kathyko2006,

were the photos in the Photo Stream your only copies of the photos? Then I see no way to get them back. The PhotoStream is a buffer to share photos and download them from, not a permanent storage.

See the Photo Stream FAQ: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Most of your photos will no longer be on iCloud:

How long are My Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud?

The photos you upload to My Photo Stream are stored in iCloud for 30 days to give your devices plenty of time to connect and download them.

Where did you check your PhotoStream, on your iPhone or your Mac? The local copies may differ. If you did not delete any photos from the Photo Stream on your iPhone, it should have kept up to 1000 photos. Have you accidentally turned off your PhotoStream on your iPhone? That would have reset the stream and deleted all photos from the stream. And only the subset currently in iCloud would have been kept.

You need to download and save all photos that you want to keep on your iPhone to your Camera Roll. Only then are they backed up to iCloud, so that you could restore them, if need be.

I don't see, why not all photos from your Photo Stream have been imported to iPhoto on your mac.

Have you switched the photo stream between different iPhoto Libraries? If you have used PhotoStream with more than one iPhoto library in turn, the photos may have been imported into different iPhto libraries.

Regards

Léonie

Oct 26, 2013 2:02 PM in response to kathyko2006

Thanks but I still don't get why photos from over a year ago was still in my photo stream a few days ago.

The article I linked to () says:

Your iOS devices keep a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos in the My Photo Stream album. From there, you can browse your recent photos or move the ones you like to your Camera Roll or another album to keep them on your device forever.

So none of your photos in the stream on your iPhone should be deleted, unless you hit the 1000 photos boundary or delete them yourself or they are delted from the Photo stream on a different device.

so, since you are saying you hade 800 photos, they might have stayed longer on your device, but not in iCloud. You must have deleted them somewhere from the Photo Stream.

Sep 17, 2014 11:19 PM in response to kathyko2006

I have been experiencing problems with My Photo Stream as well. What I ultimately did was create a NEW photo stream by doing the following:

1. Select a picture from iPad/iPhone and click the "Share" button.

2. Select Photo Stream.

3. Select New Photo Stream.

4. Give your New Photo Stream a name (I called mine "Missing Photos").

5. Tap "Next".

6. Add any comments (optional) and then tap "Post".

After Step 6... PRESTO! I could see this new stream on both my iPhone 5 and iPad. Only problem is now I have the luxury to skim through my photos and see which photos are on iPad but not iPhone and vice versa.

However, days later, I happened to know a software named iPhone Data Recovery, which is enable to recover deleted photos from iPhone for us. It really works. If you find the above steps a little confused, you can have a try of it.

600 photos have gone missing in my photo stream...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.