Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickLook for CBR

Under ML I used to be able to view CBR files in QuickLook using SimpleComic's QuickComic.qlgenerator plugin. Under Mavericks, for some reason I'm unable to view CBR files using QuickLook. CBZ still works fine, but CBR just gives me the "Open in SimpleComic" button.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding getting the CBR QuickLook to work again, I'd appreciate it.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.7i5, 16GB (Late 2012 - iMac13,1)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:04 AM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2014 6:47 AM in response to David Portela

This thread led me down the right path. I deleted the two <dict/> entries for cbr and cbz from /Applications/The Unarchiver.app/Contents/Info.plist.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2379312

I also had Stuffit installed. Couldn't find a way to remove the mapping from it (granted, I only tried for a couple minutes) so I just deleted it since The Unarchiver seems to handle all my decompressing needs.

Jun 13, 2014 4:26 AM in response to David Portela

I had the same problem and it frustrated me for months. Quick look used to work for all my comic book files. Then suddenly it worked for cbz but not for cbr files. I think it happened with the Mavericks update but it may have been earlier.

Anyway, tonight I finally fixed the problem. Here's how. I hope these steps help others who have been similiarly frustrated.

1. delete your archive app (in my case it was unRarX);

2. delete Simple Comic;

3. restart;

4. install archive app (e.g. unRarX);

5. in Finder, right click a cbr file and choose 'Get Info'; via 'open with' set your archive app (e.g unRarX) as the default app for rar files; (NB - this is the crucial step);

6. restart;

7. install Simple Comic;

8. open Simple Comic;

9. restart;

10. open Finder; look at a folder with cbr files, in cover flow mode; you should be happy with the result 🙂

P.S. the key appears to be the fact that without any 3rd party archive app and without Simple Comic, the .cbz format has an app which will open it - Mac OSX's own 'Archive utility'; .cbr on the other hand, has none; if you put the two file formats on an equal footing before installing Simple Comic, i.e give .cbr an app that will open it, Simple Comic applies its Quick Look plug-in to both formats in a way that Mac OSX (Mavericks) understands;

Jan 5, 2015 7:53 PM in response to David Portela

I had the same problem but it fixed itself, so to speak.

The first time I tried to view a cbr or cbz file with Quick Look after I upgraded to Mavericks (and, again, when I upgraded to Yosemite) it just showed me a window with the "Open with Simple Comic" button. I clicked on that button and opened the file. The next time it showed me the same window, so I gave up and began opening the comics with double click. After a couple of comics opened this way I tried again to view them just pressing the space bar and… it worked. I didn't do anything. It's like after opening that kind file in Simple Comic for a couple of times, Yosemite remembered that.

On my other Mac it worked the same way but only after a restart.

I know this is not a real fix to the problem, but it means that old plugin is still working even in Yosemite after it, somehow, wake up!

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010)

QuickLook for CBR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.