Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Windows in iTunes 11 - Workarounds

Hello Everyone,

after upgrading my Mac to Mavericks, I found out, that iTunes has been updated to its currentmost version.

For the last year, I've been reluctant to update iTunes, because I saw no necessity in it as it worked just fine.

However, I came across a shocking flaw of iTunes 11's design: The inability to utilize multiple windows.

As I prefer organizing my playlists across multiple windows, this is an essential feature. I'm sure, there are others to agree on this.

In the next couple of days, I'll try out several ways to re-enable the feature spoken of - even though I've already heard about it being impossible.

Please keep in mind: It is particularly important that you have backed up the pre-upgrade version of iTunes Library.itl.

1. Using the "Next titles" feature on the Mini-Player

=> The "Next title" feature on the Mini-Player is a neat little feature, however, I'd rather not classify this as a liable replacement.

2. Using a Virtual Machine

=> It is, of course, possible to utilize virtualization software in order to run the other operating system which is supported by iTunes, whereby it comes in handy, that using the operating system spoken of leaves it to the user, which version of iTunes to run

3. Using files from a previous backup

=> When iTunes 11 first came out, I briefly read through an article, which explained how to go back from iTunes 11 to iTunes 10. As I created a backup just before upgrading to Mavericks and ever since haven't changed anything about my library, this might be an option, given that Mavericks will accept files taken from Mountain Lion.

4. Restoring Mountain Lion

=> Given that none of the abovementioned options will work, there's only one way to go - restoring Mountain Lion.

It might take more than a couple of days for me to try out each of these options, as I use my Mac in business. By the way, I'm really glad, that Safari is still capable of multiple windows and tabs. However, with regard to option 3, I'd kindly invite you to try it out and to report, whether it works or not.

Finally, there have been several reasons, why I decided to migrate my music library to iTunes a couple of years ago and - I might be a little outdated on this - iTunes is still the best way to organize huge amounts of media files. However, I strongly disagree with the way users are - let's not say forced, but - rather strongly suggested to always use the newest version of whatever Apple software, simply because there could be the slight possibility, that one might disagree on the superiority of an App's newer version.

MfG,

Will

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:27 AM

1 reply

Multiple Windows in iTunes 11 - Workarounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.