Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't paste a row into Numbers 3.0 from Excel

With Numbers 3.0, I can no longer paste a copied row from Excel into a row in Numbers. Do I have to revert to an earlier version of Numbers?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 3:36 PM

I'm having the same issue.

Since Numbers (still) doesn't do pivot tables, I have to create pivot tables in Excel. Then, (at least before this "upgrade"), I paste the values into Numbers for graphics creation (where Numbers has really shined).

Now, though, when I attempt to paste Excel tables values into Numbers 3.0, crickets. Nothing happens.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2013 3:36 PM in response to seismojim

I'm having the same issue.

Since Numbers (still) doesn't do pivot tables, I have to create pivot tables in Excel. Then, (at least before this "upgrade"), I paste the values into Numbers for graphics creation (where Numbers has really shined).

Now, though, when I attempt to paste Excel tables values into Numbers 3.0, crickets. Nothing happens.

Oct 25, 2013 7:49 PM in response to seismojim

Depsite the attempt by the Apple Support Community to claim this solved my problem, it most decidedly does NOT solve my problem. It's a cumbersome, popsicle-stick and rubber band kind of workaround for a feature that worked fine before.

It used to be Apple that proclaimed its products provided the marriage of power and simplicity. Numbers was very close to be a really good application before this debacle of an "upgrade". Numbers' shortcoming wasn't that it was too powerful.

What a mess.

Oct 25, 2013 8:00 PM in response to seismojim

When I try to copy a table or range of cells in Excel and paste onto the canvas in Numbers 3.0 I have no problem.

Same with copying a row in Excel and pasting into a cell in the first column of an existing Numbers 3.0 table. It even expands automatically, adding new columns if the selection from Excel was wider.

No need to import an entire Excel file.

Wonder what you all are doing differently.

SG

Oct 25, 2013 9:35 PM in response to seismojim

Hi,

I copy a row in Excel and paste it onto the canvas in Numbers 3.0. No problem.

I copy a row in Excel and paste it into an existing table in Numbers 3.0. No problem.

I copy a row in Excel and paste it onto the canvas in Numbers '09. No problem.

I copy a row in Excel and paste it into an existing table in Numbers '09. No problem.

It definitely works for me. In both versions Numbers even adds columns automatically if an existing table doesn't have as many columns as the row from Excel.

So I'm puzzled what you're doing differently. Trying to drag and drop, perhaps?

SG

Oct 27, 2013 5:33 AM in response to johnb12345

No particular setting that I know of.

I select the range in Excel, command-c, click on the canvas in Numbers 3.0, command-v, the new table appears.

I did this with a pivot table, same result (with no formulas, of course, just the values appearing in Numbers 3.0).

I select the row in Excel, command-c, click once in the first cell of an empty row of an existing table in Numbers 3.0, command-v, the values are inserted across the row.

I select the row in Excel, command-c, click once in the column number to select an entire empty row of an existing table in Numbers 3.0, command-v, the values are inserted across the row.

I select the row in Excel, command-c, click once in the column number to select a row of an existing table in Numbers 3.0 that has existing values, command-v, the new values are inserted across the row.

In fact, I'm having trouble making it NOT work here (unless I try to drag and drop from Excel, which does not work).

Very puzzling!

SG

Oct 27, 2013 3:49 PM in response to johnb12345

I'm wondering whether this may be a legacy document problem, i.e. occurring in documents created in the old Numbers and opened in Numbers 3.0. Perhaps someonef having trouble with this could try creating a new document in Numbers 3.0 and copying/pasting from Excel to the newly created document and see if that works.

SG

Oct 28, 2013 7:01 AM in response to SGIII

I'm one of the ones who has experienced the "no pasting" issue. Over the weekend, I have discovered that, for me, it doesn't happen all the time. In fact, it doesn't even happen most of the time. It's (for me) a real but rare issue. For most Excel document I work in, pasting the values (including formulas) into Numbers works just fine.

This makes me suspect the issue resides in some issue with Excel as it pertains to Mavericks or iWork. I use Excel 2011 version 14.3.8. I find in general that Excel has been buggy and unstable ever since Lion, particularly (but not exclusively) with large spreadsheets.

So, in summary, I suspect this is NOT an issue where a useful functionality of Numbers was removed but rather is an issue with some Excel files.

Oct 28, 2013 7:14 AM in response to bmc atx

If you take one of the Excel cell selections you had trouble pasting into Numbers 3.0 and try it in a newly created Numbers document rather than a "legacy" document created in Numbers 2.3 and recently imported into Numbers 3.0, do you still see the same problem?

Am thinking it might be on the Excel side. Or it might be a legacy Numbers document importing into Number 3.0 problem.

SG

Oct 28, 2013 7:30 AM in response to bmc atx

OK, that's good to know. It seems charts, dates and other things can cause problems when opening documents originally created in 2.3 but this is something else. Wonder what kinds of things it's failing on with Excel. I tried to make it fail but it seemed to behave as expected whatever I tried.

SG

I can't paste a row into Numbers 3.0 from Excel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.