Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWork update chaos after mavericks install

Apart from the time machine disaster (3 years of back ups wiped) the app store keeps telling me to update the iwork and ilife suites. So far it's told me to update the new numbers, keynote and pages 4 times each in the last 24 hours and about the same with imovie and iphoto. The last time it asked me to update numbers the old version (number 09) opened!

Anyone else having this problem?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:39 AM

9 replies

Oct 27, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Edit:

Sorry for that confusion. It seems that the articles mention the new way below the old "Software update". I should have read them througly. My bad to assume that fresh information would be predented first.

The articles you link here seem to be quite old. I have not had "Software Update" application for a long time. Instead the updates come from App Store that does not seem to have any option to ignore an update.

-Pete

Oct 28, 2013 3:41 PM in response to PetriSirk

I tried R-click in OS X Mountain Lion and it seems that you can only ignore system updates. Application updates can't be ignored, or at least the ones I had could not.

I think App Store should not offer incompatible updates and started another thread about them. I also reported the iMovie 10.0 update to Apple Feedback, hoping they can mark it incompatible.

Here is the other thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5491445?answerId=23561473022#23561473022

Dec 5, 2013 7:09 AM in response to PetriSirk

Here's my workaround to getting the App Store to quit nagging me about updating iWork.

The jist of the workaround is that the App Store uses Spotlight to determine what's installed. You have to make the applications invisible to Spotlight and also make the App Store forget it ever saw them on your computer.

1. In Systems Preferences > Spotlight, privacy tab; add the iWork subfolder ( e.g. /Applications/iWork '09) to locations which Spotlight will not search.
  2. Delete the root partition Spotlight database. From the command line enter:

sudo mdutil -Ei off /

3. Reset the App Store and delete the App Store cookies.

See this discussion for instructions.

4. Quit the App Store.
  5. Rebuild the Spotlight Database for the root partition. From the command line enter:

sudo mdutil -i on /

Once the Spotlight database is rebuilt you can open and log back into the App Store. You should have any notices about the applications in the ignored folders selected in step 1 above.

Good luck.

Dec 6, 2013 7:03 AM in response to Stenton

Fixed it for me:

As mentioned above, the problem is repeating duplicate updates of the new iWork (and for me also iMovie) occurring when a user still has the old versions of these programs on their machine and would like keep them.

I had the App Store updates window open and the Spotlight Privacy window open at the same time. When I completed E.Moore's Step 1 metioned above (add old application folder iWork '09 to Spotlight privacy list) the pending updates on the App Store for iWork immediately dissapeared.

iMovie was remaining. I added the application folder "iMovie 9.0.9" to the privacy list and iMovie also immediately dissapeared from the updates.

Thanks to E.Moore above for getting me on the right path. In my case, no further actions such as deleting root partition or resetting App store were needed. Simply Step 1. Mavericks immediately acknowledged the change and removed the repeating updates from the App Store Updates List.

Jan 9, 2014 12:09 AM in response to E.Moore

Fixed things for me too! Thanks a million, E.Moore.

However, the nucleus of the problem is still there: Apple's new upgrading politics is something of a dumbing down of us Mac users. How many folders are we going to have to put into that Spotlight Privacy folder in the end?

On the other hand I can understand the App Store nagging from a strategic point of view: some people nowadays do not make a clear distinction between iPads and Macs, and with some interface standardization Apple can make the Mac's functionality appeal to the iDevice-raised generation, where everything is constantly up-to-date with little, if any, user effort. Sadly, this move also limits the user's options in a way that somewhat cripples the true power of a Mac.

I am a happy Mac user since many years - but my loyalty to the company has recently faded a bit, especially with the App Store trying to force new software upon my computer. Am I being bitter?

iWork update chaos after mavericks install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.