Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't manually add artwork to iTunes?

I can't add artwork to iTunes. I try to via "Get Info", and it appears in the artwork box, but when I click Ok the artwork is not there. Help?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 11:14 AM

29 replies

Oct 25, 2013 1:28 PM in response to NoArtworkGuy

Two things:

1. There is a bug (and has been for several releases of iTunes) so that if you select more than one song from an album, and click on File/Get Info/Info>Artwork, sure enough, there is no artwork showing. However, if you check each track, the artwork is there on every one.
  2. If you select multiple songs (i.e. a complete album) but one song is missing the artwork, then the artwork will not show up. In this case, check each song, to make sure they all have the same artwork.

When adding artwork to an album, make sure you do so to every song in the album. To do that, select the complete album and when you click on File/Get Info/Info - you see this box:

User uploaded file

... but if you select a single song, you need to click on File/Get Info and you will see a different selection of tabs, including one for Artwork. Click on the Artwork tab :

User uploaded file

... and you see this:

User uploaded file

...notice that in my first screenhsot, the artwork is missing. It shouldn't be - that's the bug!

Jan 9, 2014 8:31 AM in response to NoArtworkGuy

Hello!

I went online to see if someone had the answer for this too, but when I didn't find an answer after looking through this thread, I figured it out myself (At least it fixed my problem).

Go to the album folder outside of iTunes, select the songs, right click, properties and uncheck the ''read-only'' box!
And there you go - just enter iTunes and perform the usual procedure! 🙂

(If you want to be sure that they've changed you can always import the albuum to iTunes again)

Hope this helped!

Nov 18, 2017 12:26 PM in response to NoArtworkGuy

I have this issue as well.

The artwork was in place prior to the update , then disappeared.

I tried to re-install from the same artwork file I always use. The artwork comes up and but it wont add. Read only not checked, so not an issue.

Now checking entire library 950 G + for missing art.

Why are we getting Betas? This is why I dropped PC

Another issue, is that tracks from different albums are scattered throughout my playlists. ***!

Oct 25, 2013 2:37 PM in response to NoArtworkGuy

Ah!

Is the album in .wav format? On the Summary pane, under the "no artwork box", look for the Kind: Does it say WAV audio file?

• An audio file in WAV format cannot have artwork associated with it, so that's why there is no Artwork tab.
  • The "info" only states "No Artwork Available", because there is no artwork. An MP3 file with no artwork would have the same box on the Summary pane.

Oct 26, 2013 4:35 AM in response to NoArtworkGuy

Hhhmmm!

In your first post, you stated that the artwork appeared in the Artwork box, but when you clicked on OK, it was no longer there. Where was this box, on which pane? As far as I know, Artwork cannot be added to the artwork box on the Summary pane; but you also said that there was no Artwork pane (which is where it would normally be added).

So I'm confused.

If the songs on the album are not in .wav type, then there must be something else about it (them) that prevents the artwork from being added. What is in the following fields (on the Summary pane) for any one of the non-artwork files:

• Format
  • Channels
  • Bit rate
  • ID3 Tag
  • Sample Rate
  • Encoded with?

The only two other possibilites that I can think of at the moment are that the (song) files are corrupted in some way or that one track on the album is different to the rest, thereby causing an issue.

Mar 21, 2014 10:03 AM in response to NoArtworkGuy

iTunes is so buggy and frustrating. I finally gave up, and resorted to a command line tool (the excellent mp4v2 library). Here's how to get it to work.

1. Install HomeBrew, if you haven't already (see http://brew.sh, which contains the following one-liner which you can paste into your Terminal):

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/go/install)"

(all on one line)

2. Install mp4v2:

brew install mp4v2

3. Add the art to your mp4 file:

Say you have a file album_art.jpeg in your Downloads folder, and your mp4 file my_music.mp4 in your iTunes music folder, then you run the following in Terminal:

mp4art --add ~/Downloads/album_art.jpeg ~/Music/iTunes/my_music.mp4

(that's all on one line)

Can't manually add artwork to iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.