Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Won't Open After Mavericks Install :(

Since installing Mavericks my App Store won't open. I click and it bounces one time then....nothing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I discovered this when I noticed that Image Preview won't open. I thought that there was an update for it so I went to the app store to see and discovered it won't open either!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 11:30 AM

12 replies

Oct 25, 2013 12:42 PM in response to HeresKayter

Try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Oct 29, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Eric Root

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried opening in Safe Mode, but none of the Apple apps (Preview, TextEdit, iBooks, and App Store) will launch. I tried setting up another user account and the problem persists.

I thought I'd reinstall Mavericks, but cannot launch the Mac App Store, and there is no other way to download Mavericks.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 13, 2013 6:50 AM in response to HeresKayter

I had the exact same problem. This thread finally helped me figure it out. Thanks so much!! It's been driving me crazy. I didn't have a Mavericks install disk, so I followed the procedure to reinstall found in "Help" as follows:

1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Reinstall OS X, then click Continue.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it’s the only one available).

Jan 11, 2014 11:31 PM in response to HeresKayter

I've noticed that people have been saying, in this post and in others, that once they do a reinstall from recovery mode, the problems go away. I did a reinstall about a month ago and the problems slowly came back. Has anyone else had their problems with apps opening in mavericks come back after they reinstalled? (I am re-reinstalling at the moment).

The problems have been on my 2011 iMac. My 2011 Mac Air has had no problems.

Jul 10, 2014 5:06 PM in response to JNBudd

YES, I have reinstalled OS X about five (!!!) times now in the past year or so. I still haven't been able to pinpoint what's causing my system apps to flash then crash after I open them, but it's incredibly frustrating. I believe this issue started on Lion and it's still happening on Mavericks.

If anyone has a solution other than reinstalling OS X, please respond!

Jul 31, 2014 12:11 PM in response to HeresKayter

I have been having problems with the App store after upgrading a lab of macs to Mavericks. I have found that simply resetting Safari and deleting cookies in particular fixes most of the issues. I spent quite a bit of time today trying to get the app store to load tabs on one machine and was also getting stuck on the spinning wheel on another. I fixed this by disabling Wi-Fi on one of the machines (is connected via Ethernet also) and on the other I deleted and recreated the network connection, and renewed the DHCP lease. Go figure...

App Store Won't Open After Mavericks Install :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.