4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 1:19 PM by kananaskis
kananaskis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a short video clip [1:22 minutes/40.6 MBs] taken using my Canon Sureshot camera and mounted on one of my webpages. It plays fully in iWeb's publishing site but after uploading it to my domain host's internet, the video only plays half way. The play icon moves but there is no advancement of the clip or sound.

I contacted the domain host provider and they have not been too helpful other than to suggest uploading to YouTube in order to get a weblink. I would prefer the video clip on the page rather than a weblink.

There is speculation my web space is full to capacity, but it has not been verified. If there is enough web space, what is the key factor I should know to have this video clip playback in its entirety once it has been uploaded to the internet. My FTP program indicates it has been uploaded successfully in the Directory, Media, Scripts and Hypertext files.

I'm not a high-level techie, but still want to have videos on my website as I see on many others. It may mean upgrading for more web space. Before I do, I thought I would check it out with the support group to see if there is a solution to uploading successfully a video clip to play in its entirety.

The webpage link is: http://thebigbenmemorialtrail.ca/New_Scouting_Team.html — the video is still mounted for the purpose of my seeking help.

Many thanks, in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Roddy Level 6 Level 6 (17,265 points)

Try publishing your site to a local folder and then launch the site in the browser by double clicking the index.html file.

Does the video play in the local version? If so, it's more than likely that the problem is with the server.

Restricted bandwidth would be more likely be the problem than lack of storage space.

• kananaskis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, Roddy,

Thank you, laddie, for your quick response and offering some good ideas as to what I am facing with regards to mounting videos on a website.

I'm not familiar with the technique regarding publishing the site to a local folder other than what iWeb publishes within the program onto my browser whereby the video clip plays fully.

However, I agree that it is the matter of restricted bandwith with the version of high speed I have [which is the lowest speed]. The ISP has mentioned that my website is at its maximum limit. When it comes to videos, one needs the upper levels of bandwiths and its very expensive.

Will see what I can accomplish at my end with my ISP.

Have a bonnie day.

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (130,125 points)
    I'm not familiar with the technique regarding publishing the site to a local folder other than what iWeb publishes within the program onto my browser whereby the video clip plays fully.

Click on the site's folder in iWeb and in the Publish To drop down menu select Local Folder.

iW3publish.PNG

OT

• kananaskis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, Old Toad,

I know what you are referencing. I just never go to that folder but that is where I do publish the site prior to uploading it onto the internet using the FTP.

And, it is when I have published the updated pags to the the Local Folder, the video plays perfectly well.

Soooo, it must be all about restricted bandwith that I am currently using with my domain web host ISP, which is a shared bandwidth. Economics affect me as a volunteer therefore cannot afford the higher speed which is not a shared bandwith.

To add to my demise, I have issues with signing on to YouTube through my Google account. Try to sort that one out is impossible. Tried for hours but all to no avail to get signed in. So I can't upload my videos which is too bad for my website.

Will chat further with my domain host and see what other options are available to me.