Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Unavailable with the Apple ID - iPhoto

Since the minute I downloaded the new OS X Mavericks 10.9 my iPHOTO app on my iMAC has a white line through it and is not compatible. Then EVERY time I try to update it in the app store I get the same message that many others have received --->

Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

This update is for an app downloaded with a different Apple ID.

Sign in with that Apple ID and try again.

The iPhoto software came pre-installed on my iMac when I purchased it new in 2010 directly from the Apple store, so it was NEVER purchased or updated with a different Apple ID. And no one else has access to my account or my computer. I’ve never changed it my id. I started with Snow Leopard and have done all the operating system updates though now and iPhoto has always worked fine...until now. I have tried EVERY remedy posted on the support community thread and others, short of starting over and wiping my iMac clean. I was on the phone with 2 Apple advisors and a senior tech yesterday for 3 hours and no one could find a solution other than some apparent 24 hour self fix that some people are experiencing. Apple is supposed to call me back today to see if it magically fixed itself. Anybody else find any better solutions other than dropping my iMac off the top of a building?

On a side note...(even though I know they stopped updating it) my iWeb app, which I still have all my websites created on, is now not functioning correctly. The writing/ words on any particular web page within the app are all scrunched together. Again, even through all the operating system updates, iWeb has always worked fine...until now.

Thinking of backing up, wiping clean and going back to Mountain Lion...so far I'm not impressed with Mavericks.

Any help or other suggestions with this problem would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iPhoto inoperable

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 12:35 PM

2 replies

Oct 28, 2013 5:10 PM in response to mr_smith_j

So the shipping version of OS X that came installed on your Mac was Snow Leopard? Then the iLife apps that were preinstalled were not the MAS versions, they are the previous boxed software versions and were on the Install DVD for bundled software that shipped with your new Mac. Those versions are not associated with the Mac App Store (MAS), they were updated through the Software Update facility in the Apple menu.

And as you know none of the previous versions, boxed DVD or MAS, will run on OS X Mavericks. Apple is supposed to have taken down all the barriers to previously installed iLife and iWork apps and the MAS is now supposed to upgrade to the Mavericks versions either previous version.

You may be experiencing a corrupt or incomplete Spotlight index of the Mac. Try reindexing and then see if the upgrade appears.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

Nov 1, 2013 1:48 PM in response to Dah•veed

FOUND A SOLUTION:

After 9 days back and forth with Apple and their senior advisors I finally spoke with one that was very helpful and would not quit until we resolved the problem. I tried EVERYTHING recommended on this thread and others, and NOTHING worked. The only solution right now is to have Apple Tech Support Senior Advisors contact iTunes to have them reset your App account. What FINALLY worked was:

-backing up my computer to an ext hard drive

-deleting iPhoto (drag it from the app folder to the trash) (Your iphoto home folder should still be saved in YOUR finder folder.)

-empty the trash

-At this point, sign out of the App store and then back in. If you see that you are able to purchase or upgrade at this point then go for it. IF NOT, then you have to go further as did I, b/c the App Store still would not let me upgrade, download or even purchase iPhoto.

-Then the senior advisor had to get iTunes to reset my app store app from thier end.

-After they did that, the senior advisor provided me with a redemption code for the latest version of iPhoto that I typed into the REDEEM section of the app store.

-Then it downloaded and works just fine now.

So the problem seemed to be on the iTunes / App Store end of things. After the App tech was able to get iTunes techs to "reset" my account (log in, passwords and info stayed the same) everything went very smoothly.

It also has to do with people who purchased iMacs or Macbooks before the Mac App Store was introduced...or right around the same time it was. These legacy members who had the pre-install app DVD were not syncing up corerectly with the MAS and iTunes. Until they get the MAS and iTunes synced up and recogignizing the pre-install apps and software, this will continue to be a problem.

Update Unavailable with the Apple ID - iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.