Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I having issues receiving Facebook messages through the Messages application after installing OS X Mavericks?

I use a Jabber account to receive Facebook chat messages through the Messages app, but after installing Mavericks I've had issues receiving all the messages. Some messages only go to my Facebook inbox and never actually make it to the Messages app. Is there any way to fix this? I've tried deleting the Jabber account on Messages and adding it again (I've done this twice with no success) and have had no success yet.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 12:58 PM

18 replies

Oct 27, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Mike.Sanborn

Hi,

I don't have Facebook Account but is there anything on the Facebook site about it's Chat option's ability to work with Messages/Mavericks ?

Is the account in System Preferences > Internet account enabled for Messages ?

Have you tried deleting it here as well and re-adding it ?

User uploaded file
9:05 pm Sunday; October 27, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 17, 2013 10:30 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Actually, I've recently lost the ability to connect to Google Talk, AIM, or Facebook chat via messages. Also running Mavericks. I'm not a novice Mac user, and have tried every trick I know. Enabling/disabiling accounts, deleting/restoring accounts, and all the usual suspects have failed. I'm at a loss. iMessage and Yahoo work fine, but no joy with the ones mentioned above. All was well for a time after the Mavericks upgrade, then suddently dead.

Any thoughts? Ralph, I've followed your posts for years, and I think we've even video-chatted once or twice a while back regarding some pesky issue. You're quite the Mac-genious. Appreciate any insight you might offer.

Cheers,

Mark

Nov 18, 2013 2:30 PM in response to EMSmac

Hi,

I was about to suggest disabling SSL in the Jabber accounts (Although not all Jabber server allow non SSL logins)

I have not seen this where the SSL for AIM Logins effects the ability of Jabber ones to work.

Anyway thanks for the info.

User uploaded file
10:30 pm Monday; November 18, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 7, 2014 12:01 AM in response to Mike.Sanborn

I'm facing exactly the same issue on my MBP running OS X 10.8.5: Messages.app can't connect to my Jabber-Accounts (Facebook-Server and our XMPP-Server at work) since the last week in 2013!

I have also tried all of the above mentioned workarounds and like to mention, that curiously it's only the Messages.app not connecting to my jabber-accounts (iCloud & Yahoo work fine). I have added these accounts using the same credentials in Adium and - Voilá - Adium is connecting easily to any Jabber-Server. This solved my problem for now, but:

I just don't like to use 2 Chat-Apps at the same time and the integration of iMessages is just too nice.

I wonder what I can do to dig deeper / further troubleshooting? I don't really understand where & if to find any hints in Console.app or anywhere else ... Anybody here to help us?

Jan 7, 2014 12:19 PM in response to zushlik

Hi,

In System Preferences > Network > Advanced Button > DNS tab try adding a public DNS server.

I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are both run by Google.

User uploaded file

8:19 pm Tuesday; January 7, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 8, 2014 12:33 PM in response to zushlik

Hi,

In the Finder use the Go menu whilst holding the ALT key down and select the Library that appears.

Navigate to Preferences.

Find the com.apple.ichat.Jabber.plist and drag it to the Trash.

Restart the app.

User uploaded file

8:33 pm Wednesday; January 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 8, 2014 1:35 PM in response to zushlik

Hi,

I was quite specific about which .plist to delete as if you have no other issues it is pointless deleting the AIM or Subnet (Bonjour) or Yahoo ones as they will not effect the Jabber logins.

Deleting the LLSharing list one only removes items from the Recent Lists in the File menu > Recent Items.

The Status Messages one only deletes the Saved Status Messages you may have made for Buddy lists.

Deleting com.apple.ichat.plist itself mostly messes up your Preferences and some menu choices.

Try deleting com.apple.imagent.plist as this is involved with logging in the Accounts to the various servers.

User uploaded file

9:35 pm Wednesday; January 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 10, 2014 12:07 PM in response to zushlik

Hi,

IMAgent is also supposed to start when the computer starts up.

It performs a "Listening" function in the background if you don't start up Messages.

If you can't find the .plist open the Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and see if it is listed as function that is running.

User uploaded file

8:07 pm Friday; January 10, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Why am I having issues receiving Facebook messages through the Messages application after installing OS X Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.