Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't put a table, shape or image in the header/footer anymore? Shame!

This is terrible. I can't believe there's no adding images, shapes or tables to the headers anymore? What the heck?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 1:49 PM

18 replies

Oct 25, 2013 2:28 PM in response to ninjzz

I've been solving this with the Section Master options to specify images, text boxes, shapes, etc. as a header. To do this:

1) set your document top margin a little wider to accomodate for the room you will need for the header images, tables, etc.

2) Place the objects (images, table, etc.) in the document and move them to where you would want them to be if they were in the header.

3) Select the objects, then click Arrange -> Section Masters -> Add Objects to Section Master

This will now embed those objects in the same location for every page of the section, or the entire document if you only are using 1 section.

Example to view or download: https://www.icloud.com/iw/#pages/BAKicNcK-2RvIExXMf2BG2wM50_-_GxMtFCE/headertest

Oct 26, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Lscrutton

@Lscrutton

I can imagine what a problem this would be for you! In your case, I think it would make sense to stick with Pages '09 (the update does not remove the old verison) for your existing documents. You can try using the new version for new documents going forward to get the advantage of real-time collaboration and better support on iOS and in the browser.

Judging from a similar regression in Final Cut Pro X, which was followed by a year of adding back features and improving compatibility withe legacy projects, we can hopefully anticipate that Apple will improve both the feature set of the new iWork apps, and their ability to convert older documents into the new format seamlessly.

Meanwhile, you will hopefully be able to get by using the previous version of Pages with your previous documents, as you have been doing until now!

Oct 26, 2013 2:44 PM in response to dwb

@dwb

You are right about the new section having the same margin, even without the header. However, my suspicion is that this is actually a bug that will be fixed in the near future. Why? Because the documentation says:

"If you want to use different margins for part of the document, you can create a separate section with its own settings"

If that DOES end up being the case, then the Master Object workaround would be a nearly complete substitute for images, etc. in headers.

In the meantime, another (ugly) workaround is to keep the top margin at its normal height for the whole document, but drop a rectangular shape or empty text box at the top of the first page of the document, with a setting to reflow text around it. This can be a fake "top margin". Add that shape to the section master, and it will become part of the template for the whole section. It will also stop reflowing text around it, since it will be in the "background" of the page. However, if you select it again and move it out of the section master, and back as a page object, it will appear in the same exact location at the top of every page in that section. So if you want a fake margin on all 20 pages of a section, this allows you to set it up on just one page, and then multiply it to all pages at once...

Again, it's an ugly workaround, and hopefully once we won't need to use for long, presuming the lack of different margins in different sections IS in fact a bug and gets fixed soon.

Oct 31, 2013 1:45 PM in response to mythmatic

My apologies - I didn't read the whole thread and didn't notice the ref to Pages 5 mid way down!

My understanding of Pages 5 is it's it's a pretty new departure and, whilst it has a very interesting future for mobile and desktop comptibility, it's somewhat unfinished at the moment.

So, sorry, you'll have to keep searching for a solution - but I would stick with the previous version until 5 is further developed

Feb 12, 2014 1:00 PM in response to ninjzz

The solutions people have posted thusfar seem decent. My quick fix is to assign and image as a bullet using the custom image option. The image will be tiny, but you can adjust the size to 500%. The only problem with this appraoch is that it will not appear unless there is text following it. A solution is to simple place a microscopic period after or any relevant text you may need in the document.

Can't put a table, shape or image in the header/footer anymore? Shame!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.