Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with external monitor (Philips 241PQPY) after upgrade to mavericks

Hello,

after updating OS X on my MBP late 2011 from 10.7 to 10.9 I have an annoying issue with my external monitor (Philips 241PQPY).

When I choose "Best for display" in the display settings the screen is rendered in the native resolution (1920 x 1080) but it has an x-offset (~350px) to the left. Even with calibrating my monitor settings by hand I am not able to move the screen back to the right. The result ist a big black bar on the right side of the screen and that I dont have any possibility to work with the left side (where my dock is attached to...)

If I chose "Scaled" I have the full screen. But it is streched in a strange way: ich have black bars on the left and the right side of my monitor (~100px each) and everything is a bit blurred (maybe because of the stretching). This gives me the ability to work again, but it is also annoying because it is really hard to read small text and there have not been any issues before the update.

Does anyone knows something about these issues? Is it a bug in Mavericks? Or maybe I forgot something in the settings? Is there a possibility to go back to the old multi-display management?

As somebody working with graphics I am really dependent on clear normal rendering on my screen (not that scaled blurry one).

Thank you for your help!

Kind Regards

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Philips 241PQPY Monitor

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 12:54 PM

7 replies

Oct 29, 2013 11:05 AM in response to Jonas Köhler

Does your external monitor have any overscan/underscan settings you can check? I had a similar problem a while back and turning that off on the monitor fixed the issue- everything filled the screen properly, nothing was cut off anymore, and the text was crisp again. I still had to go back into the Apple prefs afterward to make sure the screen size was set correctly, but the monitor's overscan/underscan settings were what had screwed everything up.

Oct 30, 2013 7:57 AM in response to yetAnotherDan

I have been able to "solve" the issue.

I could not change the overscan / underscan settings. It has been deactivated. Therefore I resetted the whole monitor back to factory settings to see if I can switch the settings afterwards. After performing the auto adjustment and repeating the whole process three times (I have done it a couple of times before the reset too) it worked. I dont know why and it seems irrational to me, but I am happy now :-)

If somebody else has this issue, maybe this kind of magic works too.

Feb 23, 2014 11:29 PM in response to Jonas Köhler

I had the exact same problem with my mbp 13" intel core 2 duo and my Samsung 27" . Everything worked fine before the Mav upgrade. tried resetting the monitor , restarting. All to no avail. Then by sheer chance, I opened my laptop (it was in a mount and closed) just to checking to see if I had the same problem on the laptop screen itself. Then when I re-checked the monitor it was all perfect! yay! This might be a simple but easy fix. Hope it helps

Apr 1, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Jonas Köhler

I struggled with this same issue for a while on my 2010 Macbook Pro after updating Lion to Mavericks. It ended up being a very simple solution. First, I learned in another blog that I could press the "alt" key when selecting Scale in the Display menu (part of System Preferences) to find the correct resolution for my monitor (1920 x 1080), which was not available in the original list provided (the default option was way off). However, after I did this and was able to select 1920 x 1080, I had a blank 1.5" section to the left of my screen. Worse yet, windows could disappear behind that section (more than 1.5" of the windows could disappear, too).

The fix? I was using a VGA to Mini Display Port adapter to connect to my non-Mac monitor (a 27" AOC 277Vh1) to my 2010 Macbook Pro with a VGA cable. Simply using a DVI cable and changing to a DVI to Mini Display Port adapter (and using the "alt" key to get more options from the Scale menu, if necessary) corrected the issue.

Hope this helps!

May 24, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Jess240

Have problem with scaling on Logic HD1080p. 1600x900 no longer in the list of options.

I was unaware of the 'Alt' key to increase options. Thanks. I am still reluctant to allow auto update to Mavericks 10.9.3 from 10.9.2 though. I guess I'll give it a try when I have a couple of hours to waste, perhaps having to wait for the time machine to restore 10.9.2 so that I can still use my monitor.

Problem with external monitor (Philips 241PQPY) after upgrade to mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.