Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes error 17 when upgrading/restoring?

Every time I try to restore or update my iPhone 5s in iTunes (using my Windows Vista) I get the message "The iPhone/iPod cannot be updated. An unknown error occured (17)", and my iPhone is stuck in recovery mode. (I have a program to "kick" it out of recovery mode so I can still use it without needing a restore.) I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but it's really anoying and I would like to get it fixed ASAP. I have already tried restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, disabaling my firewall, and uninstalling my antivirus, but nothing has worked. I am positive that the problem is not being caused by the iPhone because I have tried to restore / update my old iPod 4g, resulting in the same error code... One more thing, I was getting "error 3004" earlier, but that turned into "error 17" whenever I dissabled / uninstalled my antivirus (McAfee from Bell)... Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 1:32 PM

3 replies

iTunes error 17 when upgrading/restoring?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.