Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How exactly does Background App Refresh work?

I'm a little confused with Backround App refresh. A few apps that I'm using, such as Pocket, have it enabled, however if I launch the app, the articles I had saved to "read later" are downloading. How often does BAR pull the data in the app to keep it up to date?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 2:11 PM

When Background App Refresh is on, apps that take advantage of this feature can refresh themselves in the background. For example, an app can check if new content is available and download the updates, or retrieve the updated content in the background when it receives a push notification, so the new content is ready for viewing when you launch the app. Apps can also schedule background refreshing based on your location. iOS learns patterns based on your use of the device and tries to predict when an app should be updated in the background. It also learns when the device is typically inactive, such as during the night, to reduce update frequency when the device not used.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2013 2:11 PM in response to Tim Baker

When Background App Refresh is on, apps that take advantage of this feature can refresh themselves in the background. For example, an app can check if new content is available and download the updates, or retrieve the updated content in the background when it receives a push notification, so the new content is ready for viewing when you launch the app. Apps can also schedule background refreshing based on your location. iOS learns patterns based on your use of the device and tries to predict when an app should be updated in the background. It also learns when the device is typically inactive, such as during the night, to reduce update frequency when the device not used.

How exactly does Background App Refresh work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.