Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can't I Update My Ipod Classic to 2.0.5

Dear Apple

I have heard that there is a 2.0.5 version for the IPod Classic but when i go to itunes and click on check for updates

it says 2.0.4 is the latest version why can't i update my ipod classic is there a problem please help me beacuse i dont

understand it Thank You.

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 2:33 PM

10 replies

Dec 24, 2013 1:59 AM in response to dragonfast45

I have experienced this too. Thought I'd post here for anyone else interested.

TLDR; they downgraded the audio circuitry within this 6th 'generation', to save money. you have the original or 2nd revision 6th generation, which can only use 2.0.4. they did a ghost release of a inter-generational downgrade which has inferior hardware, and is able to run 2.0.5. because the actual hardware is different, the software is not compatible. i believe this change happened sometime between 2011 and 2013. you are lucky as you have a good ipod and 2.0.5 will offer you nothing.

=====

I recently bought a new iPod to replace my old faulty one. I noticed within 20 seconds of music that this new iPod had inferior sound (lacking soundstage, detail and tonal balance). I've given it several days and tried to like it, but the new sound has more trade offs than gains. It sounds bad.

To investigate why it didn't sound right, I looked around. It had the same box, appeareance, model number, part number, everything. The only difference - the serial number showed my old one was made in 2011 while this new one was made in 2013 - and the software on my old one would only update to 2.0.4 while the new one would go to 2.0.5. The two softwares are incompatible - because the two hardwares are different.

Oct 24, 2014 8:28 AM in response to johnthecrash

I am posting here in case someone can enlighten me.

My wife recently acquired an iPod classic 160 GB (MC297 – 2.0.4) and because of the volume cap imposed by EU, this it is not enough for me. I want to buy one too but with firmware 2.0.5 were I can chose to remove the EU volume cap.

The problem is, not only Apple doesn’t let you upgrade 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 but they also do not print on the box what firmware comes with the iPod that’s inside.

Also, most shops will not just unsealed the iPod for you to confirm what firmware are you “buying”.

I have been into a shop with an iPod on firmware 2.0.5 on display and the serial was 8K….ZU which by doing a search on Apple’s website, it was made late 2009. My wife’s iPod serial number starts and finishes with the exact number/letters, thus also being “late 2009” but with 2.0.4 firmware.

In other words, while I am aiming to get an iPod with the 2.0.5 firmware, it seems virtually impossible to be absolutely sure what are you getting inside the box.

Does anyone know what serial numbers are comprised the iPods with 2.0.5 firmware.

Also, the model of my wife’s iPod 2.0.4 is MC 297 QL/A. Does anyone knows what the “QL/A” stands for? I seems to remember that the iPod on firmware 2.0.5 being a QL/C but in can’t remember for sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 24, 2014 11:00 AM in response to Noka75

Noka75 wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

Your quest for an iPod Classic with 2.0.5 software on it will be further hampered by the fact that the Classic has been discontinued and Apple (appear to) have withdrawn the remaining ones from their stores and as David Ellis mentioned in this thread back in December, a Classic running 2.0.4 cannot be updated to 2.0.5.

However, all is not lost.

Within the UK, both Tesco and Sainsbury's have Classics on sale as of today (I've seen them!) So if you are able, ask if you can check the software version on the ones they have. If they have one running 2.0.5, then you're in luck.

If not, why not buy yourself a portable headphones amplifier? There are options available from FiiO and Boostaroo (look on Amazon) or the home made amplifier known as the Cmoy amp or Altoids amp (the originals were housed in an old Altoids peppermints tin), which you may find on eBay. The FiiOs run on rechargeable batteries, while the Altoid amp I own runs on disposable 9 volt batteries.

Dec 21, 2014 1:06 AM in response to Noka75

hey bud, i think you're reading the serial number a bit wrong.

example serial number: 8k123xxxx9zu.

the first two digits are irrelevant, i think they just mean it's an ipod classic. the next three digits refer to the date of manufacture, in this case: 123 (1 for 2011) (23 for the twenty-third week of 2011). 9zu at the end just refers to what machine it was manufactured on.

regarding 2.0.5, i believe all ipods from roughly 2013 onwards (with a serial like 8K301+) will have 2.0.5. so if you go to a store with decently high turnover, you should automatically get an ipod with 2.0.5 as their stock will likely have been refreshed since then. you can always check the back of the box as the serial number is their. i can't guarantee but that would be my educated guess. i myself have been searching for 2.0.4 ipods and in all instances they were made before 2013, and in all cases 2.0.5 they were made after 2012.

regarding the volume limit, i'm not familiar with that but you should confirm that the headphones you are using are not high impedance, as they naturally have less volume.

out of my own curiosity, could you post your wife's first 5 digits of serial number? i am going to presume it's before 8k301 but i could be wrong.

all the best

Dec 21, 2014 1:00 PM in response to David Ellis5

David Ellis5 wrote:

... if you go to a store with decently high turnover, you should automatically get an ipod with 2.0.5 as their stock will likely have been refreshed since then.

Unlikely, as Apple have removed all remaining stock of the iPod Classic from their stores. Others have reported no joy trying to find iPods elsewhere.

David Ellis5 wrote:

regarding the volume limit, i'm not familiar with that but you should confirm that the headphones you are using are not high impedance, as they naturally have less volume.

The "volume limit" referred to is the additional "lower maximum volume" imposed on iPods sold within the European Union within the last few years, commonly referred to as the EU Volume Limit. With 2.0.4 (and earlier), that limit could not be removed or overridden. However, version 2.0.5 was introduced to accompany the new hardware in the Classic (as you have previously mentioned), and a Classic with 2.0.5 can turn off the EU Volume Limit.

Also, as you previously noted, a Classic with 2.0.4 cannot be updated to 2.0.5.

When using the headphones output from an older iPod Classic, the only viable option to overcome the EU Volume Limit is to use an external booster amplifier. Having said that, there is another possibility, if one has sufficient technical knowledge: take the line level output from the Dock Connector.

Jun 19, 2016 4:27 PM in response to the fiend

Good Evening

What are the differences between the 2.0.4 and the 2.0.5 firmware/software...??!!

Can anyone confirm that the newer iPod Classic 7G produced after 2012/2013, has poor hardware and because of that could be updated to 2.0.5. firmware/software...and also that the previous units of the same 7G Classic outside the European Union doesn't include the restrictive volume cap...?!

I've bought this week on eBay a Brand New U.S 7G Classic, without any sort of use, with the Part Number: MC297LL/A and with the Serial Number: 8K******9ZU and would like to know when it was manufactured...and if it has the dual plate or single plate hard-drive...

Brand new in box Apple iPod Classic 7th Generation. Black

160GB. Model A 1348.
Serial No. 8K******9ZU.
Part No. MC297LL/A

Box was opened but it was never used.

Comes with everything shown. Nothing was ever connected.

Smoke and pet free home.

Regards

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jun 20, 2016 3:11 AM in response to A1286

A1286 wrote:

Good Evening

What are the differences between the 2.0.4 and the 2.0.5 firmware/software...??!!

An iPod with 2.0.4 cannot be updated to 2.0.5. The reason for a difference is due to the hardware. In other words, the revised version of the iPod (with different parts inside it) needed a different version of the software.

There would appear to be no point in attempting to update from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 for two reasons:

1. you can't
  2. 2.0.5 will not work on a device designed to use 2.0.4

Therefore, any discussion about it will achieve nothing.

Jun 20, 2016 4:35 AM in response to the fiend

the fiend wrote:

An iPod with 2.0.4 cannot be updated to 2.0.5. The reason for a difference is due to the hardware. In other words, the revised version of the iPod (with different parts inside it) needed a different version of the software.

There would appear to be no point in attempting to update from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5 for two reasons:

1. you can't
  2. 2.0.5 will not work on a device designed to use 2.0.4

Therefore, any discussion about it will achieve nothing.

the fiend:

I understand that, but because I don't know which one is the one I bought, because I haven't received it yet, I was wondering what are the differences between the 2.0.4 and the 2.0.5 software...as well as which one of the pre-2012/2013 or post-2012/2013 units, were manufactured with the poor hardware, that is why, I posted the complete serial number, but someone called the "host" edited...

I would like to post the first 3 digits of S/N...but I don't know if it's going to be edited again.....**004******

Regards

Jun 20, 2016 5:11 AM in response to A1286

The only user difference I'm aware of is that version 2.0.5 can turn off the European Union Volume Restriction, which earlier versions cannot do. Any other differences are internal, due to the hardware. If the iPod you have bought is on 2.0.4, then that's where it will stay.

I'm not aware of how those differences affect the sound of the music from the iPod, and Apple is unlikely acknowledge "poor hardware". Frankly, that expression is speculation by who knows who. In order to specifically confirm "poor hardware", you would need to speak with the person who has determined that as a fact, and ask for their specific and convincing reasons for such a claim. Otherwise, you're simply repeating what that person says they were told by their best friend's mate's sister's uncle-in-law! Reading the same thing as an online post is no different - it's not proof.

A1286 wrote:

Can anyone confirm that the newer iPod Classic 7G produced after 2012/2013, has poor hardware and because of that could be updated to 2.0.5. firmware/software...

It is not possible to update from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5, regardless of any "poor hardware". The difference is due to hardware. Since the hardware cannot be changed, then neither can the software.

You've obviously taken a specific decision to buy an iPod Classic secondhand as Apple have stopped making and selling them. So without the seller's detailed description of the iPod, it's difficult to know in advance precisely what you have bought. For example, if the iPod was originally purchased inside the EU and it has version 2.0.4, then it will come with the Volume Restriction, which cannot be overridden. But it if was purchasedoutside the EU, then it would not have the Volume Restriction installed.

Since you have committed yourself to this purchase, presumably by now, it has arrived. If it hasn't, there appears to be little you can do until it does.

Once you have the iPod, go into Settings/About and look for the version number listed, probably on the third screen.

Why Can't I Update My Ipod Classic to 2.0.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.