Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Optimizing Your Mac -Performance and battery life may be impacted until completed." I have already finished the installation. What is left to complete?

I have just gone through all stages of installing Mavericks. Now this alert is visible in the upper right hand corner of my screen saying "Optimizing Your Mac: Performance and battery life may be impacted until completed." Is there something that I missed? Because I want this to be installed correctly. I don't want my computer suffering for it.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Then, let it finish.

19 replies

Nov 6, 2013 5:03 AM in response to baltwo

I've got the SAME EXACT THING. Do I really have to reinstall? Again?

If so what is the procedure so I don't lose my files?

I've got a time machine from right before the mavericks install... but can that be restored to mavericks? On the other hand I don't want to make a new backup with the messed up OS and then use that...

Feb 18, 2014 1:12 PM in response to baltwo

I will add my voice here to say that there isn't anything about this message that particularly implies that this is a description of a current activity. It reads more like "Optimizing your Mac is important -- go do it".

Perhaps ***Currently*** optimizing your Mac would be better.

This is confusing especially as I got this with a whole host of calendar and to-do notification popups, that clearly use the same notification mechanism, and all have an imperative association. Mixing status updates with imperative directives is not a particulary clear piece of UI.

Jul 3, 2014 5:15 PM in response to frustratedinpa

Same problem here.

Slow Mac and the optimizing message.

Optimising to me means defragging but some people are saying that its Spotlight re-indexing your Mac.

I've checked in Spotlight but there's no notification or progress bar visible.

There must be some reference to this process on Apple's site but good luck in finding it.

Additionally I'd like to say that after installing Mavericks 10.9.4 I've found learning all the new features has been frustrating due to a lack of information, I've really had to mine it out of the OS thru help screens etc.

What I'd really like is a series of videos or tutorial docs that I could use to run through all the new features, has anyone seen anything like this?

Apple's site does enthusiastically list new features but doesn't tell you how to use them.

"Optimizing Your Mac -Performance and battery life may be impacted until completed." I have already finished the installation. What is left to complete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.