Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse button responding very slowly or not at all

All of a sudden the button on my magic mouse is responding eithervery slowly or not at all. The mouse pointer works as always but when I push to select something I now have to push very hard or hold it in for a second or so to engage whatever it is I am trying select. Just not as responsive as it once was. Anyone else ever have this problem? And if so, is there a solution other than just replacing the magic mouse? It almost seems like the sensor that senses a button push is dirty or something.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 gb RAM

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 5:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 25, 2013 8:37 PM in response to Jeffrey Bivans

Found this on About.com written by Tom Nelson

Fix Magic Mouse Disconnects

There can be numerous reasons for a Magic Mouse to drop the Bluetooth connection, but in my experience, the most common reason is a loose battery terminal contact in the Magic Mouse.

For me, the major cause of the Magic Mouse dropping the Bluetooth connection can be traced to the Magic Mouse's battery compartment, and what appears to be a weak design for the battery contacts. Essentially, it's possible for a small jolt, such as lifting the mouse to reposition it, to momentarily cause the battery terminal in the Magic Mouse to move, thus breaking the electrical connection. No power, no Bluetooth connectivity.

This may be the result of a weak spring in the contacts, as well as a poor contact design. Either way, the fix is simple.

1. Remove the batteries from the Magic Mouse.

2. Cut a small piece of aluminum foil about ½-inch square in size.

3. Wrap the aluminum square around the negative terminal of the battery.

4. Re-insert the batteries into the Magic Mouse.

The extra thickness of the aluminum foil produces a bit of additional force wedged between the battery and the spring-loaded contact. This makes the battery less likely to be jarred away from the contact when you move the Magic Mouse around.This may be enough to fix most Bluetooth disconnect problems, but if your Magic Mouse still experiences an occasional disconnect, there's one more modification you can try.

1. Remove the Magic Mouse battery cover.

2. Cut a piece of paper into a rectangle about 1 inch by 1-½ inches.

3. Place the paper on top of the batteries, roughly centered. Tuck any excess paper around the edge of the batteries.

4. Re-install the Magic Mouse battery cover.

The extra paper acts as a wedge between the batteries and the battery cover, to help hold the batteries in place.

These tricks worked for me. I haven't had any Bluetooth disconnect issues since putting these fixes in place.

Oct 26, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Jeffrey Bivans

Hi Jeffrey my problems didn't seem to be bluetooth connectivity either....and not a loose battery? I did put the little shim in the battery chamber and my mouse is working much better. Just a little piece of paper, I used cardstock.

1"x1.5" enough to fit in chamber niceley. Something about keeping the batteries tight made the difference for me.

Hope you find a solution, because the mouse is really a good one. I have used Wacom tablet for about 13 years and I like the magic mouse more.

magic mouse button responding very slowly or not at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.