Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMEI blacklists

One of our iPhones has been stolen recently. We reported theft to our carier (Rogers in Canada), and the phone has been placed on the blacklist in Canada. When I check the database of blacklisted devices on http://checkesnfree.com/ , it appears as blacklisted in Canada, but as not blacklisted in the US. It also has a "clean" record in NCIC.

I wonder if there is a way to put it on US blacklists too.

Another question: The phone is locked to Rogers. If anyone (may be in the US) tries to unlock it, do they have to do it through Rogers (our carier)? Will a blacklisted IMEI prevent them from unlocking it?

And one more: If the person who stole the phone (or bought it from the thief) brings it to an Apple or Rogers store, is there a chance that employees will confiscate the phone and return it to us?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:09 PM

zornie wrote:

One of our iPhones has been stolen recently. We reported theft to our carier (Rogers in Canada), and the phone has been placed on the blacklist in Canada. When I check the database of blacklisted devices on http://checkesnfree.com/ , it appears as blacklisted in Canada, but as not blacklisted in the US. It also has a "clean" record in NCIC.

That would be up to Rogers and if there is some type of reciprical agreement between the carriers.

zornie wrote:

Another question: The phone is locked to Rogers. If anyone (may be in the US) tries to unlock it, do they have to do it through Rogers (our carier)? Will a blacklisted IMEI prevent them from unlocking it?

Yes they would have to go through Rogers, as only the carrier can authorize an unlock of the device.

zornie wrote:

And one more: If the person who stole the phone (or bought it from the thief) brings it to an Apple or Rogers store, is there a chance that employees will confiscate the phone and return it to us?

No, Apple will not confiscate devices, and I doubt Rogers would either.

Did the device have iOS 7 on it? If so, and you had Find My iPhone active on it, the thief would not be able to restore the phone anyway, no matter where he tried to activate it at.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2013 6:09 PM in response to zornie

zornie wrote:

That would be up to Rogers and if there is some type of reciprical agreement between the carriers.

zornie wrote:

Yes they would have to go through Rogers, as only the carrier can authorize an unlock of the device.

zornie wrote:

No, Apple will not confiscate devices, and I doubt Rogers would either.

Did the device have iOS 7 on it? If so, and you had Find My iPhone active on it, the thief would not be able to restore the phone anyway, no matter where he tried to activate it at.

May 2, 2015 9:28 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well, you can check blacklist almost network and big private database at: ******

I was purchase a checkmend report, it cost me 2 bucks but I found this site give free check.

Supported:

+ Private database (more than 1 million imei)

+ USA: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS

+ Canada: Telus

+ Sweden: Telenor

+ Japan: Softbank, AU KDDI

It should help.

<Link Edited by Host>

IMEI blacklists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.