Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-persistent HDR iOS 7.0.3

I have noticed something in iOS 7.0.3 and that is HDR doesn't stay on after repeated open/close of the camera app.

I shoot in HDR because it gives better color and tonal contrast in certain situations.

Is this happening to you as well?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2, Sprint

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 8:30 PM

16 replies

Oct 26, 2013 3:43 AM in response to chattphotos

Count me in. I'm using an iPhone 5 and since upgrading to iOS 7.0.3 I encountered this bug.

I noticed some strange circumstances:

I use a 4 digit password to open up the phone. My initial setting is that it should auto lock after 5 minutes and that the pass need to be entered after 5 minutes as well. Using this the camera instantly forget the "HDR on" setting when accessing the camera from the lock screen (after 5 minutes or more).

Setting the time to 1 minute or instant for using the pass to open the phone it remembers the "on" setting for a little while (up to 20 minutes, but not 30) and then turns it to "off".

Also when opening the camera from either the lock screen or the app desktop after a longer while the yellow letter indicating "HDR on" is visible for a half second or so before turning itself to "HDR off" in white letters.

Very frustrating since I use the camera and HDR several times on a daily basis.

I was I'm contact with the Swedish Apple support on Thursday October 24 and they had not heard about this. I was told to do more experiments (turning off the HDR setting, take a photo, turn it on again, reboot, reset settings) and get back to them using my case number that was supposed to be sent out, but I never got it. Their suggestions didn't work either, the bug remains.

Feb 20, 2014 9:51 PM in response to chattphotos

This issue has been around ever since iOS 7 came out. I shoot between several hundred to a thousand photos DAILY. I always shoot HDR. I shoot continuously for several solid hours with small breaks, repositioning mixed in. I turn the screen off and pocket the iPhone during these times. It is totally random but still a regular occurrance that at least once or twice during each session the HDR option will turn itslef off. My lock screen option is off because it becomes to intrusive to have to enter a code everytime or use the fingerprint scanner. A simple swipe and I'm back int he camera app. I have to constantly monitor the setting because of this. Very frustrating.

I want the option to always use HDR. it should be a Default.

Apr 27, 2014 6:37 AM in response to beglen2

Yeah, I'm acutely aware it still does. The half measure of using the 5S's raw power to determine FOR YOU if it needs to use the HDR in auto mode is at best a nuisance and even worse a nuisance because it's a fall back measre. Now I turn it HDR "ON" (not Auto) and sometimes when the "bug" hits I see the HDR overlay pop up when the phone decides on whatever whim to reset itself, unprompted by me back to "AUTO" mode. This is tremendously frustrating.

C'mon Apple! Give us the option to LOCK my iPhone INTO Full-Time HDR mode! It should be a simple option in the camera app.

Sep 22, 2014 11:48 AM in response to chattphotos

iOS 8 is out AND.... the HDR "ON" option resetting itself is even WORSE. Still using my 5S/32 (6 Plus/128 on order). Before I could leave the Camera App open, turn screen off, pocket the phone, reposition my subject, take a few minutes and go back and it would (70% of the time) still be using my preference of HDR "ON". Now if I turn the screen off and come back even 1 minute later I'm FORCED to hit HD, then On to get it back. This is really ******* me off. Its a computer, its a camera, settings are a normal thing in all computers/cameras and why is this option not "settable" for us end users?

C'mon Apple Wake UP!

Sep 22, 2014 12:02 PM in response to TigerSSMac

I had the same issue with HDR on my iPhone 4s. I would prefer it to be left on so that I can turn it off when it makes sense. I shoot outdoors a lot and HDR gives me better saturation.

I updated to iOS 8.0 a few days ago and one of the first things I did was open the camera app and tap on HDR. The next time I went back in it was off again and I thought, OK here we go again. So I did a Home button + Sleep button reset and tried it again. Since I did this HDR has been on every time I open my camera, as long as this was the way I left it. If I switch to SD and closed the camera app it was in SD when I came back. But when I shut it down in HDR mode it is there now when I open it up again.

It doesn't matter how I open the camera, Home page icon, Lock Screen swipe up, Control Center icon. The problem seems to be fixed, for me at least.

I am curious, if you are on iOS 8 and you are still having problems with this did you update your phone over the air or through iTunes? I always update my iDevices using iTunes and I have had much better luck than a lot of people who report here after having done an OTA update.

Non-persistent HDR iOS 7.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.