3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 9:38 PM by OrangeMarlin
Sue Diaz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just received my iPad 4 yesterday.I am a teacher and trying to find apps that are useful. I purchased the iWork app, but it is not user friendly and I have not been able to use for any lesson planning. To make this app work I have to purchase one of three other programs, each costing 9.99. I am needing to work and was going to bit the bullet and by an additional app when I go an error message stating that I need to upgrade to ios 7. Is this upgrade necessary? Is iWork the best app? Can the Pages app be use independent of other apps?

Thanks for any and all help.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi
  • 1. Re: Do I need to upgrade my brand new iPad?
    franzkaiser Level 2 Level 2 (230 points)

The Apple productivity apps, including Pages are included with iOS7, so it may be worth the upgrade to get those. You definitely do not "have to" upgrade. Before you do, you might want to read over some of the problems others have posted about on this site to see if it is worth it. Having a newer iPad, you are likely to have fewer issues, but there is no way to be sure.

• 2. Re: Do I need to upgrade my brand new iPad?
    franzkaiser Level 2 Level 2 (230 points)

Have to correct that! Pages and the others are included with NEW devices running iOS7. I don't think you get them with an upgrade. I just bought a new iPhone, and I was able to transfer Pages from that to my iPad. Sorry for the misinformation.

• 3. Re: Do I need to upgrade my brand new iPad?
    OrangeMarlin Level 5 Level 5 (5,130 points)

The iWorks apps are free for all iPads and iPhones purchased after September 1, 2013.

You do not need Keynote or Numbers to use Pages. As for the usability of Pages, it is different than Word. But that's a subjective difference rather than a meaningful one. Everyone eventually gets used to a new software ergonomics. You will too.