Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map app fails to update driving location continuously

Either the Map app or the GPS is not updating the location continuously while driving. It constantly get stuck in an staled location and miss all the turn-by-turn direction while driving. I also noticed that the GPS sensitivity/accuracy is low when that happens even when there is line of with to the satellite. The accuracy should not be 100 meter when driving with GPS on. It should be less than 10'm while driving with the Map direction. As a result, the Map keeps getting hiccups and fails to update the current location continuously.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 9:56 PM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2013 9:07 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

My wifi is always on. I know wifi will increase its accuracy, but it is not the issue. In fact, I can see the accuracy changes in a stationary position.

I never have any problems with driving in the country where there is no wifi or cell service, my map GPS works perfectly fine.

It is since the last iOS7 update that this problem appears. Somehow, I think the app or GPS is not updating periodically. It seems to pause for awhile.

Nov 2, 2013 1:39 AM in response to nicoladie

I got the same issue here!

It happens after I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.0.3. No matter which app I use now (Maps, Google Maps and Navfree GPS Live), it always gets stuck and doesn't update the location anymore. Last Saturday I even saw a warning message "Cannot Determine Location" when I opened Apple Map......

I've tried to reset all contents and settings but didn't work. Then I tried to reset location & privacy, it failed either.

But my girlfriend's iPhone 4s with iOS 7.0.3 works pretty well.

I hope there would be a solution soon.

Nov 15, 2013 6:26 PM in response to Gruv2ths

I think the problem may be caused by interfere, which affects the accuracy of the GPS. I noticed that when the GPS fails, the accuracy changed from 5 meter to 100 meter or more in radius.

Here is what you can do to diagnose the problem.

Download the "GPS Data" app from App Store. It is a free app.

"GPS Data" app will show all the GPS parameter settings. When the GPS fails, note the best accuracy the GPS can obtain. If there is magnetic interference in the car, especially near the radio, it will ask you to "re-calibrate" the GPS by rotating and tilting the iPhone.

Once the GPS is re-calibrated, the accuracy will go back to 5 m or 10 m range, which is what is needed to give you the driving direction. Any accuracy larger than that will make tracking your car movement ambigious, thus giving you the hiccups and stop updating the location.

I noticed this when the GPS fails, I put the iPhone on the dashboard in the windshield where there is direct line-of-sight to the satellite, the accuracy goes back to 5 m range. But when I move the iPhone away from the windshield without line-of-sight to the satellite near the radio, the accuracy decreases.

So you may try that to see if you can diagnose the source of the problem.

Nov 23, 2013 5:17 PM in response to devonau

devonau wrote:

Does anyone in Apple really care about this issue??

It bothers me a lot.

Have you talked to Apple? This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple's participation here is minimal. If you want to discuss the matter with Apple directly, either contact them by phone or make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

Best of luck.

Nov 23, 2013 5:50 PM in response to nicoladie

Thanks Nicolade, Tried your suggestion and it showed that GPS was intermittently sending data, not consistently like it needs to be. So I made a genius desk appointment, they found that 'Location Services' had been crashing on my phone. Their advice was to make sure all my info was correct in icloud then 'reset all settings and set up as new'.

That seems to have fixed it.

Fingers crossed!

Map app fails to update driving location continuously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.