Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 7 'slowing to a crawl' on WordPress Admin pages with a lot of options

I've been working for several weeks on building a WordPress site. We build using a theming framework called Catalyst Theme and use their Dynamic Site Builder. Since we updated to Mavericks and Safari 7 we've been unable to make basic edits because the WordPress Admin page for Dynamic just can't load in a timely manner. (What should take seconds can take as much as 4 minutes.) This page has literally hundreds of options on it which are separated with tabs so visually it appears to be multiple pages but it isn't.

This works fine in Chrome and FireFox and worked in previous versions of Safari without a problem. To be clear, the site performs as it should on the front-end and all other pages work perfectly the WordPress Admin. It's just this one page. The guys at Catalyst also recently release a version of their Dynamic Site Builder that runs on the Genesis platform. This also doesn't work. Headway Theme's visual editor appears to be entirely inoperable as do several others.

The one thing all of these have in common is an absolute ton of objects and functions running on a single page.

Many of the theme and framework authors have begun to release updates that address the issue with a pop-up notifying the site admin that they should use another browser. They've all independently attempted to resolve the problem unsuccessfully so I'm thinking it's just a bug.

I'm not a big Safari user but I've got to say, if this wasn't an issue Safari 7 would be my default. I absolutely love everything else about it! It IS fast and is a joy to browse and work with. I'd also be willing to bet that the vast majority of freezes and locks being reported are the result of the same issue.

I'm running:
WordPress 3.7 but experienced this before the 3.7 update as well.
Catalyst Theme 1.5.4 and Dynamic 1.1

The server is Linux with cPanel (you know, the standard) and PHP version 5.3.21

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS - I've cleared everything and also tried with extensions on and off.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 16GB RAM, 1TB IntHDD, 4GB extRAID

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 9:59 PM

10 replies

Nov 6, 2013 6:18 AM in response to Nerfherder

I have the same issue.. safari web content in activity monitor jumps to >95% and causes it to hang.

Makes using it very dificult and sometimes takes a while to "respond". No issues with this previously and I am seeing it on multiple installs of wordpress when workng in the admin. Front end is running fine.

System is running Imac 3.06 intel dual, 16gb ram and 1TB on mavericks and safari 7.

Nov 11, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Nerfherder

I have also the same issue with my OSX Mavericks and also the same fault with my iOS7 iPhone, that i have problem to login to the wordpress admin page, its like blank white... in a way you can get it work "realy bad", if you empty your internet cach files and retry to login... but it´s horible layout on Admin-page, with no funktion working, and to work again you must "empty the internet cach again".

The Wordpress page is also like 10-15 seconds before the page comes up. When i use a native "Windows machine" it´s no problem to login to Admin Page or to surf on the page as regular internet user.

So i have no ideá what the problem is... i guess somthing with "Mavericks-core" and "iOS7 core" system!? tried almost "everything", the same problem i do have with OSX Chrome & OSX Firefox on my mac.

Or das the Wordpress 3.7.1 engine have a "anti-bug-Apple" on there core-files?

Jan 9, 2014 10:02 PM in response to Nerfherder

I cannot edit any of my wordpress pages now. I click on a post or page and my computer freezes (spinning cursor) and logs me out of wordpress. Last night after several attempts, my computer completely crashed and won't start. Brought it in to the apple store today and they say I need a new hard drive. I'm convinced that wordpress and safari caused my computer to crash.

Safari 7 'slowing to a crawl' on WordPress Admin pages with a lot of options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.