Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple duplicate address books in Contacts on Mavericks

I recently upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. I just noticed that my Contacts contain multiple copies of the same address book shared over iCloud. See this image:

User uploaded file

When I click the minus button to delete the extra address books, I get a message saying that I can delete the account in the account section of system preferences. However, whether that section opens, I have only one account with the name in question. I tried unchecking and rechecking the Contacts box for iCloud, but that made no difference whatsoever.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 11:07 PM

I figured it out. When Mavericks first came out and the icloud.com servers were getting slammed, I had a lot of email problems. I deleted and created my icloud account several times. It appears that the contacts were retained on my computer. When I recreated the account, my contacts were apparently downloaded as a duplicated address book inside Contacts. That happened several times. The solution was to open my icloud accounts settings and uncheck the Contacts book every time a new check appeared automatically, choosing to delete my contacts from my computer every time. After repeatedly unchecking Contacts and deleting all contacts from my computer, I was able to recheck the Contacts box once and have my contacts downloaded once into Contacts. No more duplicates as shown in the screenshot above.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2013 11:07 PM in response to louiexiv

I figured it out. When Mavericks first came out and the icloud.com servers were getting slammed, I had a lot of email problems. I deleted and created my icloud account several times. It appears that the contacts were retained on my computer. When I recreated the account, my contacts were apparently downloaded as a duplicated address book inside Contacts. That happened several times. The solution was to open my icloud accounts settings and uncheck the Contacts book every time a new check appeared automatically, choosing to delete my contacts from my computer every time. After repeatedly unchecking Contacts and deleting all contacts from my computer, I was able to recheck the Contacts box once and have my contacts downloaded once into Contacts. No more duplicates as shown in the screenshot above.

Multiple duplicate address books in Contacts on Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.