Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share photos between several user accounts

I recently bought a Mac Mini to replace a dying Windows 7 desktop computer. I have three accounts on the Mac; an administrator account and two regular user accounts. I want to bring over 150+ Gigs of photos to the Mac and have the two separate user accounts have access to them. How can I do this? My goal is not to have the photos duplicated on the two separate user accounts. Thank you.

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 10:41 PM

5 replies

Oct 26, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Jettero23

Right - I understand the need to have both logons. However, what I was getting at is whether or not you would be OK with only one of those logons having direct access to the iPhoto library. Here's why I'm asking:

My husband and I have our own physical Macs, so we each have a unique logon that is completely our own. However, for our iTunes library, we use his Mac (and his Mac logon) and for our iPhoto Library, we use my Mac (and my Mac logon).

As long as my Mac is logged on, either one of us can upload and get into the iPhoto library with hassle.

I know there is a way to set up permissions to allow two users to logon to the same iPhoto Library, but it entails the need to remember to physically logoff the user who is last in it (from the Mac) in order for the other user to access it.

So, again, there is a way to do it, but it is a lot more complicated. And if you have no issue being on the Mac doing specific things under the other's Mac logon, then it is easier to keep the Library under only one.

Let me know how you want to proceed, and I'll do my best to help you get there!

Cheers,

GB

How to share photos between several user accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.