Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Jumbo frame in Mavericks?

Where did the Jumbo frame ethernet setting? All my equipment has remained the same and in the Mountain Lion I could choose MTU 9000 in the network settings.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 21.5-inch, Mid 2010

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 2:23 AM

7 replies

Nov 1, 2013 6:47 AM in response to dspn

MTU support of 9000 is no longer available on my 15 inch Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 after upgrading to Mavericks. How ever my Early 2008 Mac Pro 2x 2.8 Quad-Core Xeon still has 9000 MTU support after upgrading to Mavericks. Is jumbo frame support in Mavericks tied to specific machines?

My machine pre Mavericks was reading from my NAS at an average of 110 MB per second. Post Mavericks I am averaging 66 MB per second. I have seen it peak above 80 MB per second, but sustained is consistantly in the 60 MB per second range.

Dec 31, 2013 7:29 AM in response to dspn

My mid-2011 Mac mini (not server) presents an Ethernet MTU choice of Standard (1500), Jumbo (9000), and Custom MTU settings in OS X 10.9.1. Keyword Ethernet. You won't have Jumbo frames option with Wi-Fi or Thunderbolt Bridge selected.

My early 2008 MacBook Pro (Lion) on the same network as above, also shows Jumbo Frames available. My Gigabit router is an Apple Airport Extreme.

Though unsubstantiated, Mavericks may have raised the bar for what constitutes an acceptible Jumbo frame handshake with your non-Apple Gigabit network device. I would disable, and then re-enable Jumbo frames configuration on the network device to discern it this capability is restored.

No Jumbo frame in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.