Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make strings sound good in Logic Pro X?

Hello,

I need to make strings sound as much like strings as I can!

Using the strings from the library of sounds in Logic Pro X is something that an aqquaintance of mine is very much against as they are just "MIDI" sounds...

The thing is, this is all I have to work with...

How can I make them sound as good as possible? Any tricks and tips? The best string set to use?

Thank you

Logic Pro, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 2:44 AM

Maybe your aquaintance can give you the money to hire the real string players? The times of "just MIDI sounds" (aka sophisticated bleeps) are over. And everytiome I come across those kinds of remarks, all I can think is: "ego". These kind of 'opinions' often just serve the purpose of enlarging ones' status, and upping the perceived competence of whoever is saying it... in other words, no matter how well you can "imitate" a string section or even a complete orchestra, it'll always be 'just MIDI' - until a real orchestra plays it.

Can't give you much ticks or trips, it sooooooo much depends on what kind of music you're making, and what the roll of the strings is in that music.

You are aware that on "full" EXS24 instruments you can switch between articulations (legato, staccato, pizzicato etc) using the modulation wheel? No? Well, now you know. The second bleedin' obvious tip is to add reverb. That always helps to enhance any sort of symphonic feel.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2013 2:44 AM in response to JohnOMahoney

Maybe your aquaintance can give you the money to hire the real string players? The times of "just MIDI sounds" (aka sophisticated bleeps) are over. And everytiome I come across those kinds of remarks, all I can think is: "ego". These kind of 'opinions' often just serve the purpose of enlarging ones' status, and upping the perceived competence of whoever is saying it... in other words, no matter how well you can "imitate" a string section or even a complete orchestra, it'll always be 'just MIDI' - until a real orchestra plays it.

Can't give you much ticks or trips, it sooooooo much depends on what kind of music you're making, and what the roll of the strings is in that music.

You are aware that on "full" EXS24 instruments you can switch between articulations (legato, staccato, pizzicato etc) using the modulation wheel? No? Well, now you know. The second bleedin' obvious tip is to add reverb. That always helps to enhance any sort of symphonic feel.

Oct 26, 2013 8:30 AM in response to JohnOMahoney

Hello! Here are some important things:

1. Use separate tracks for different string groups, just like in a real orchestra -- violins 1-2, violas, cellos, basses

2. Use volume envelopes on each track

3. Switch between different articulations (legato, staccato, pizzicato etc.)

4. Use randomize on starts of notes, so that different tracks don't play notes exactly on the same time (which sounds unnatural)

5. Use orchestration rules. If you're not really familiar with this, get some orchestra scores and study them.

As for sample libraries -- of course, you may be aiming to get some huge orchestra library, but in many cases orchestra presets included with Logic will do the job, and you won't be spending money on additional libraries and hassle with many GBytes of samples. I don't have Logic X, only Logic 9, but I suppose orchestra presets are the same in X.

Here's an example of what I did with Logic 9 factory string presets:

http://yadi.sk/d/PM9fyFT_9xE8K

Didn't have time to randomize stuff, but volume envelopes are there.

Oct 27, 2013 8:49 AM in response to JohnOMahoney

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your input!

I know a little about orchestration but like some of you said, maybe I need to widen my knowledge on it! I have done the obvious things like added reverb etc. When he said about the MIDI sounds, I did think "Well isn't a lot of things MIDI?"

As you can tell I am new to this all, so really learning a lot at the moment. I didn't really want to take my next piece to him and to get told there is too much MIDI sound.

After all it is what sounds good to the ear.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2013 9:16 AM in response to JohnOMahoney

It's not really MIDI Sounds... MIDI is just a trigger for whatever instrument you use as a sound generator. I'm sure your friend has marveled at sampled strings and never knew they are being played via MIDI. There are some amazing string/orchestral sampled libraries out there... (if you've got the money) but that won't guarantee a good sounding score if they're not used well. You would be surprised at how many blockbuster movies use sampled string libraries either on their own or to augment a sitting orchestra.

Like the composers of old who knew the orchestra's instruments well enough they could play most of them "in a limited fashion"... they knew the characteristics of the instrument and how to write for each one. How the MIDI instrument is played and the articulations chosen are what give the impression of real strings.

How to make strings sound good in Logic Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.